Oscar and My first pool

Varelao95

Mar 29, 2019
Lewisville, NC
Hello my name is Oscar and I am from Lewisville NC, I just joined because I recently purchased my first home and it has an In-ground pool. The issue at hand is this is my first Pool and I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm trying to absorb as much Info as I can. I currently have a chlorine pool and if you guys have any tips I'd love to hear them. Thanks again

Welcome to the club Oscar! Since you're a new pool owner and you're here, you probably haven't had to the chance to screw up a pool yet. Click on Pool School over there <<<<< and start with ABCs of Chemistry. Move on from there. There's a lot to learn. Others will stop by to offer you an official greeting and more advice. Feel free to use the sub-forums and ask away.

Best of luck!

Hi Oscar :handwave: Welcome to TFP. You've come to the *right* place to learn about pool care.

Our method of pool care relies on *owner * testing. No one is going to take as much care of your *investment* as you will. So knowing what is in your water (and what is not!) will not only make for safe, clean swimming...but it also protects your pool surface and equipment from damage.

You say you have a "chlorine pool"....but how does it get its chlorine? Liquid? Pucks? A salt water chlorine generator?? We believe one should only add chemicals they know they're adding, so be cautious about using pucks routinely if that's the way you roll. Pucks contain not only chlorine, but additional amounts of either stabilizer or calcium which can both add up quickly and cause you problems. We have no qualms about pucks used for vacations or when you *know* you need those other ingredients....but routinely most of us don't use them.

I see from your signature you've got the K-2006 test kit. That is the one with the FAS-DPD powder to test FC and CC, right?? Good choice! :goodjob:

I would start by reading Pool School articles....start with this one- Trouble Free Pool and move on to other articles that pertain to your needs. And toss out more questions in the appropriate forums as they arise. We're all more than happy to help you have a great summer with your new pool.

Maddie :flower:

Guys ive been looking every where but can't seem to find the answer, sorry if this sounds dumb but in what order should you test your pool? as well as in what order should you adjust chemicals in your pool? What I mean by this is should I check PH first and then Chlorine Levels?

My routine --
Get water sample, test FC. Then pH. If necessary, TA, CH and CYA.

When I started, I tested FC and pH every day. TA, once a week. CH and CYA, monthly.

Once you learn your pool and its characteristics, you can do the FC and pH tests every other day or so. But still add liquid chlorine every day.

IF you need to adjust the FC and the pH at the same time you will need to wait about 15 mins between the two. Make sure the pump is running and you can even go as far as to brush after each one also to help mix them in good. Chlorine and muriatic acid do NOT play well together.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay you got this!!! I am going to make some suggestions. Look in post #5 for the links to do what needs to be done.

Your TA is low. We need to get it up in range. Open the Recommended Chemicals link to see what we use to do this. You can buy it at Target or Walmart!

Your FC is low. You need to get your hands on some liquid chlorine/bleach. Some pool stores sell liquid chlorine. You put a deposit down on their jugs and just bring them back for a refill when needed. Most of the time their chlorine is 11% so can be a good buy. Right now Walmart has their liquid chlorine (they call it "shock") in white jugs by the pool stuff and it is listed as 10% BUT make sure to check it date code as you do not want chlorine older than 3 months.

You do not want your FC to get below the minimum level for you CYA at any time. If this happens often or for a while algae can start to form and we sure don't want that green monster to get it's hand on your pool!!

One part of your pool care you are really going to have to keep any eye on is your CYA. Each of those tablets you use are adding CYA (listed as stabilizer) as they dissolve in the pool. You can look at Pool Math to see how much each one adds.

You do need some CYA in the water. It acts as sunscreen for you FC. BUT too much CYA is not good as the more CYA you have the more FC you need. Here is the link for this info: Trouble Free Pool

Is your head spinning now? I know it is a lot of info but once you start looking at it one piece at a time it will all fall into place! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Did you notice the teacher in me coming through?? :hug: I gave the tools and hints to let you learn this so you will know how to do this with our support! PLEASE know you can and SHOULD ask for anything you don't know OR are unsure about! I LOVE to help and teach!!!

Reactions: Varelao95
Oscar,
Great job on the testing. One quick tip...it looks like you're using a 25 ml sample for testing of FC and CH. You can save on reagents if you use 10 ml samples for each test. For the FC test, you would multiply the number of drops by 0.5 instead of .02. For the CH test, multiply by 25 instead of 10. You'll lose a bit in accuracy, but you'll get more than twice as many tests out of your kit. Your instructions for the kit will show the two sample sizing options. You can also find extended test kit instructions in Pool School...

Best of luck!

I'd suggest liquid chlorine for the FC, and a large bag of baking soda from Walmart for the TA. You then input all your test results into PoolMath (either the App or the classic web page version found at bottom of page) and it will guide you with how much, based on your own test results.

I'd also add some aeration via fountain or turned up water returns to stir the water up and cause your pH to rise a bit.

Maddie :flower:

Oh you want a shopping list?? I have one for you!!! Most of it can be bought at the Dollar Store!

-2 2cup PLASTIC measuring cups-one just of the muriatic acid. The other one for all others.
-1 toothbrush :shock: WHAT?? Yeah your pool gets its own toothbrush. They are great for cleaning around the small things like returns and skimmer areas.
-something to keep the muriatice acid in that is NOT by metal or the chlorine. The fumes are nasty. If you have littles you need to have one that can be locked to keep little hands and eyes safe.
-a good place to buy chlorine or bleach from (same stuff with different %). Some pool stores sells 11%chlorine. You put a deposit down on their jugs and bring them back to be refilled as needed. If not pool stores are you then Target and Walmart sell PLAIN bleach. Make sure there are NO additives in it!!
-plastic cups for by the pool so when you fly me up there for a weekend of R&R you will be set to serve some drinks! LOL

There ya go!!! Not too big a hit on the wallet!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support