glm08

Jan 16, 2020
St. Louis
Good morning! My husband and I have been looking at the Optimum free form pool for a few weeks now. We met with an installer and received the quote from the dealer yesterday. The numbers look good and due to our yard, it seems to be the best option for us, but we can’t find many reviews. Anyone have an Optimum in the Midwest?

Our plans is to sink the pool, with about 1 foot exposed and I’m honestly having a super hard time imagining the decking and how it will flow with our existing concrete patio. I’m hoping for some reviews about the optimum brand and possibly pictures of decks for that have been placed in the ground.

Thanks so much!

In the meantime search for radiant or optimum pool. Lots of good reading for you. Use the ‘G’ button for better search results. On mobile type your query and press the setting icon to the right. Then press G.

@Newdude has you covered on the finding who to ask questions and how to do a good search here. I would like to help you with the design of the yard/patio/pool area. If you have a second story house take a pic looking down on the yard and patio. If you do not then you can get on a ladder to take the pic.

Do you want a wood deck or a concrete deck?

Kim:kim:

Reactions: glm08
@Newdude has you covered on the finding who to ask questions and how to do a good search here. I would like to help you with the design of the yard/patio/pool area. If you have a second story house take a pic looking down on the yard and patio. If you do not then you can get on a ladder to take the pic.

Do you want a wood deck or a concrete deck?

Hi, Kim! Thank you so much for the help! It’s currently freezing rain so I can’t take current pictures, but maybe these pictures from the MLS will help to give you and idea. We live on a golf course and have two rather large berms behind our lot and lots of water run off of them into our yard when it rains, hits why an inground isn’t ideal.
We’re open to a wood or concrete deck, even pavers. We’re hoping for a budget friendly option though.

Attachments

• 61F1FF3C-A298-428E-9008-AEAE0CDFD178.png
    61F1FF3C-A298-428E-9008-AEAE0CDFD178.png
    363.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 70AB721C-CC2D-47D3-B6AF-00C6FF81A648.png
    70AB721C-CC2D-47D3-B6AF-00C6FF81A648.png
    454.8 KB · Views: 33
  • F57581C4-2A90-41DF-B238-AF47A2A1F86C.png
    F57581C4-2A90-41DF-B238-AF47A2A1F86C.png
    478.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 9681FC62-D55B-4ADE-884A-A0599CD32784.png
    9681FC62-D55B-4ADE-884A-A0599CD32784.png
    447.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 8EBFF7B3-03BA-400D-A440-61AAF09BB2AE.png
    8EBFF7B3-03BA-400D-A440-61AAF09BB2AE.png
    440.6 KB · Views: 36
Oh I can work with these! Nice job! A couple of questions to help me dial in what is what.

So what is the "box" thing on the wall to the left of the patio? Do you have any restrictions on where you can put it? Sewer lines? underground power lines, etc?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
buried pool.png
1 is my first pick of placement-it will not block the view from any windows AND leaves more of the yard to play in and use. I would use stepping stones from that patio to the pool deck.

2 is my second pick -I am not sure if you should go as far out as you can to leave the yard intact or keep it as close to the house as you can but it will block the view from the windows.

What you can do is use a bright rope to make the pool and see which area works best for you. Think about sight lines from the house. I am still working finding more deck pics. The above link is a very pretty one but I don't think it is very doable with your patio that you already have.

The blue by the house is where your equipment pad should go not matter where the pool goes.

Thoughts?

Here are links to a couple of searches I did using the words "decks for buried above ground pools". Some are very do-able. Some are $$$ bigger money but man they are something else!
decks around buried above ground pools - Google Search:

:

I have been thinking about your equipment placement. It will cost your a bit more to have it by the house due to the need for trenches and pipe. To me it would be worth it but it is not a deal breaker if you want to save a little money and keep it right by the pool. I bet we could come up with something pretty to put around it.

I do have to ask if you live in a HOA area and what do they have to say about this idea?

What kind of fence will you be putting up?

Where is the property line on the right side of the house looking at the back of the house?

Tell me what room those windows are to.

We’re still deciding on a 6ft white vinyl or a 4ft aluminum.
the property line on the right side, if your looking at the house is about where you placed the number 1. It’s kind of hard to tell, but the yard slopes up and our yard starts right at the slope.

The two windows next to the sliding glass door is to our living room and to the left of those are our master bath and bedroom.

The blue box you drew is next to our existing utilities and where we plan to have everything, but we also will need to add a box so we’ve considered adding it to the opposite side of our house, by our master bedroom.

Surprisingly no HOA and have little restrictions from the village.

I think I answered everything. ? Thanks again for looking at everything and your suggestions so far! I really appreciate it!!

Okay lets get this planning started!

Shift pool 1 over towards the left enough so you can put the deck right inside the property line taking in regard the fence. That will give you yard to play in. This will also keep the pool/deck from blocking your view from all windows of the pretty area behind your house. Putting the pool there will allow you to tie the patio in by using pretty steppers or such.

Equipment pad-I would not put it by your master bed room as i do worry about noise from the pump. Saying that the new pumps are very quiet so it may not be a real issue. Now if you are going to put the pool on that side of the yard then yes the pad does need to go over there. But it will be harder to "tie" the pool into the patio you already have.

Thoughts??

I like that! Almost everyone has suggested putting it in front of the windows and I just feel like it’s too close to the house. Plus we have two young kids and I worry about them. I’ve added a picture where most have suggested we place the pool.

I would like to tie in our existing deck as much as possible, yet not have the pool right next to the house, if that makes sense.

Attachments

• 2990DB42-DEF1-4004-A0B8-9464791CBCD0.jpeg
    2990DB42-DEF1-4004-A0B8-9464791CBCD0.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 8
That placement is a big, fat NOPE! LOL MY plan gives you pool tied into your patio that will be EASY to fence off inside the main yard while the kids are small. Leaving quite a bit of the yard for the kids to run and play on! It will NOT block any windows! We want pool and yard and view!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.