Optimal settings for pump

Ricker

Jun 2, 2021
Toronto
Hi , Im wondering what my optimal settings would be for my variable speed pump. Currently I have it on at 1900 RPM 24 hours a day. This is producing a flow rate of 24 GPM (as per Intellicenter readings). Want to know what is optimal and most cost effective setting.

Start at 800 rpm and go from there.. At 800 rpm 24/7 does it clean the surface of the pool to your liking? If not go to 900 or 1000 rpm... test it for a couple days.. if you are happy let it roll.. You can always turn it up to 1900 or so to clean the surface some more right before you get in...

Rick,

Mine runs at 1200 RPM, because that is what it takes to turn on my SWCG and keep the skimmers working..

Since you have a heater you will need to add 300 or 400 RPM.

You go by how it works for you and your pool.. The "Flow rate" is nice to know, but of no real value.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Trial and error. Each pool is different. Follow cowboycasey's advice. Start at a low RPM and increase it to find where your SWG starts generating and then what RPMs is needed for the heater. Also test with a clean filter and a dirty filter. I found the needed RPMs are different depending on how clean the filter is. I use 7 of the available 8 programs I can set with my pump. I like to keep the RPMs at night where the SWG will generate but my heat pump will not run. I have a higher speed for one hour in the morning and evening for skimming.

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboycasey
I run at 2300rpms for two hours in the morning and then drop to 1950rpm for 10 hours. I've calculated it out to about 55 cents a day. My SWG at its lowest setting, 25%, seems to keep the FC around 4, so I'm considering adding a digital timer so that I can only run it for 8 hours a day independent of the pump.

Rick,

Mine runs at 1200 RPM, because that is what it takes to turn on my SWCG and keep the skimmers working..

Since you have a heater you will need to add 300 or 400 RPM.

You go by how it works for you and your pool.. The "Flow rate" is nice to know, but of no real value.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you. I read ideally the pool water should be filtered 3 - 4 times per day. Therefore, I thought if I had it a certain flow rate say 25 GPM , my pool water would have turned over 3 times per day. Does this sound right?

Rick,

We do not believe in the old "turnover" myth.. It is just not true.. You can run your pool for as long, or as little as you like, it is your pool. But you should never run it just to meet some mythical turnover number.

Here at TFP we run our pumps for a reason.. To generate chlorine, or to run our skimmers, or run some water feature... All good reasons.. Turnovers, not so much.

Your filter is there to capture things that fall into your pool. It is not there to prevent algae, that is a job for the chemicals. We have people here that run their pump for just a couple of hours per day and others that run 24/7... In all cases, if you don't keep chlorine in your pool you will get algae, no matter how many turnovers you have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
As stated above you start as low as possible and adjust from there, mine runs 3 diff speeds 24/7 because thats easiest for me, my speeds are much higher than most because whoever did the plumbing on this pool when built was not the greatest so it takes some speed to run all my returns and skimmer. I wish during our reno I would have had the budget to have them redo all the plumbing so it operated better but I work within what I have and have figured the speeds I need to run to do different things

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.