Opinion on brand new glass waterline tile

Frenchgreyplaster

Jul 13, 2022
Houston
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We had Lunada Bay (color H20) 1 x 3 glass waterline tile installed in our brand new pool. Grout color we selected is Delorian Gray. We had to get the pool company to do this twice. The first time they left noticeable voids behind the transparent glass. After having them demo it, they reordered and reinstalled. Our pool was plastered on 7/4/22. One week later and our tile looks awful. Grout discolored, tiles crooked, chipped, misaligned. Photo below is from 7/11/22. This is just one section but is representative of the job throughout. Please give feedback on what you think is wrong? Do you think this can be fixed by the pool company. If so how?

Attachments

• 2C18C824-1CEF-4833-A8DB-C07416FC3401.jpeg
    2C18C824-1CEF-4833-A8DB-C07416FC3401.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 76
Welcome to TFP.

What is wrong is there are too many contractors who have no quality standards and take no pride in their work.

If your builder does not have tile guys who can meet your standards on the second try what makes you think he will come up with a better crew the third time?

More photos for reference. I want to know what people think is actually physically wrong with the materials and their appearance.

Attachments

• EE489719-AC43-415E-9DDC-4CD7CF98CE28.jpeg
    EE489719-AC43-415E-9DDC-4CD7CF98CE28.jpeg
    601 KB · Views: 62
  • 2C73F0C3-6A0A-42B9-841B-7ADB59DCD386.jpeg
    2C73F0C3-6A0A-42B9-841B-7ADB59DCD386.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 63
Well as a fellow selector of Lunada Bay tile for our pool, I can emphasize. We had a lot of problems with tiles coming off at the raised spa (30 ish tiles), to the builder's credit, they redid all of it at the expense. From my experiences with this tile, installation prep (i.e. waterproofing, etc.) is very important. Also the type of thin set used and the installation conditions (hot weather/shade/rain/etc.) all played into my issues. I still have some tiles where the thin set is not fully seated on the tile (for the most part it's really good), but since they re-did the spa tile not one tile has came off. There are a couple tiles I would like to redo (they a little crooked) but at this point I am OK with it and happy no further tiles have came off. For future reference, I would only let an installer use Laticrete Platinum 254 thin set, from using it myself to having the new tile also be set with it as well. Never had any issue with grout discoloration, which look similar to yours (dove grey...can't remember the brand off the top of my head) Just my 2 cents!

Does anyone have insight into why my brand new grout would be so splotchy and why it looks dark behind some of the glass tiles ?
Well as a fellow selector of Lunada Bay tile for our pool, I can emphasize. We had a lot of problems with tiles coming off at the raised spa (30 ish tiles), to the builder's credit, they redid all of it at the expense. From my experiences with this tile, installation prep (i.e. waterproofing, etc.) is very important. Also the type of thin set used and the installation conditions (hot weather/shade/rain/etc.) all played into my issues. I still have some tiles where the thin set is not fully seated on the tile (for the most part it's really good), but since they re-did the spa tile not one tile has came off. There are a couple tiles I would like to redo (they a little crooked) but at this point I am OK with it and happy no further tiles have came off. For future reference, I would only let an installer use Laticrete Platinum 254 thin set, from using it myself to having the new tile also be set with it as well. Never had any issue with grout discoloration, which look similar to yours (dove grey...can't remember the brand off the top of my head) Just my 2 cents!

They used Laticrete in silver

They used Laticrete in silver shadow. We are concerned as to why our grout is looking so blotchy - some areas white, some gray, some dark gray. Did you have any issues with your grout? Our PB is saying it should even out with time but I’m skeptical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.