Opening up

KingJames19

Apr 25, 2020
Long Island, NY
Ok Guys,

So i am opening my pool after a mild winter on Long Island NY i was having a problem last year with DE blowing back into my pool, being it was the end of the year, i packed my filter and pump up, winterized the lines and left the pool to be for the winter. that being said it is now the end of april and i want to begin the process of getting my pool swimable again. To start i opend the filter up and to no suprise most of the grids were ripped or torn, so i took a ride the leslie pool and purchased a new grid system, as well as replaced the seal on the pump basket and the big seal that attaches the top of the filter to the bottom. last year i replaced spider gasket. i have a hayward 2420 filter and my pool is 12x24 inground vinyl. i cleaned everything up and turned the filter on with a psi reading of 10. I then added my 6 scoops of DE and psi read 11. for about 30 min then slowly jumped to 25, so i backwashed and rinse the filter, added 2 bags of shock and turned the filter on it ran for about 30 minutes between 12 and 18 then the last 30 minutes between 20 and 27, so o Darn it off and waited 1 day for the rain to stop. Finally no rain so i weny outside took the filter apart again and manually cleaned it out put it back together added de and now it ran for about an hour and a half, so i backwashed and repeated this cycle twice finally its late and i dont want to go out there anymore so i added 2 more bags of chlorine and put the filter on circulate for the night. This is only my second year of a pool and i need all the help i can get. so im putting this on here to see if im doing something wrong or everything or there is something else i can do better. thanks in advance

o i did scoop as much leaves from the bottom as i could before hand but i could not see the bottom so i kinda blind scooped hope i got most of it

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

You may find you will need to put your filter on recirculate until you have the algae and organics neutralized in the pool. The you go about the process of filtering which can take several filter cleanings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.