Opening time and procedure to follow

Hello,

I begun following TFP last year to take care of my pool. I have a pool for 10 years and last season was the best season with crystal clear water, no algae at all and no visit to poolstore to have water tested. I had a lot of fun testing water by myself. In November I closed the pool following the procedure found on the forums and I had no issues.

When all the ice in the pool melted some weeks ago already, I found a super clear water. I was surprise. The temperature were up and down and often still around 0C so I did nothing since then. Now there is some debris in the water but it is still mostly clear.

I looked at the weather forecast and I noticed that temperature will be higher starting now. It should be in the 50sF (10C). I am in Montreal, QC area.

Is it a good time to open the pool to avoid having to deal with a mess?
Is it too soon or is it a good time?

The most important, according to TFP, what would be the exact procedure to follow to open the pool and have everything started properly? What products to use and in which order should I proceed?
When startup is done, I will start maintenance mode and wish me another wonderful season.

Thanks a lot!

Take a look through that article and see if it answers some of your questions.

Ok. Thanks. That helps.

For the time, is it the good time? Do you think that it is too soon?

If I understood properly, I need to test water and balance everything using pool math then I look for SLAM. Is that correct? I adjust ph, calcium, alkalinity according to pool math following test results and then I check for SLAM?

Also what is the skimmer sock exactly?
Use of a skimmer “sock” can be especially beneficial during spring start up as it will assist with clarifying the water while removing bugs, tree pollen and other small debris.

Thanks!!

I would suspect now is fine. You are about done with significant below freezing temperatures, correct?

After refilling and circulating the pool water well, you would take a sample and test for all the parameters. FC, pH, CYA, TA. CH does not matter in your vinyl liner pool as long as it is not very high.

Then adjust the pH, add chlorine, and add CYA as necessary to get to 30-40 ppm. Then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you have any organic matter in the pool water to eliminate.

A skimmer sock goes over the the skimmer basket. It captures some of the items that normally go to your filter. Not a bad thing but with your sand filter, backwashing is not that big of a deal.

Yes. I would say we are mostly done with freezing temps. Maybe around freezing or lightly below during some parts of nights. But day temperatures would be mostly within 50-60F. I want to avoid it to turn green.

In which order should I do the adjustments at first start? TA, pH, CH, Cya, Cl ?? Or which other order would be better?

I remember I had a low TA at the end of the season. I would suspect that I will have to increase it to have some room for ph adjustments and avoid being too low.

Run a full set of tests. Adjust pH to the 7's. Start CYA dissolving if below 30 ppm. Add liquid chlorine to get to 3 ppm FC and then maintain as often as needed to keep in target range based on FC/CYA Levels

TA only needs to be messed with if below 50. Use baking soda to raise it to no more than 70 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.