Opening the swamp 2015

*sigh* improvement seems to have stalled. I'm sure all the rain isn't helping. Still not loosing FC at night, no CC. I decided after reading a lot on here to go ahead and try some clarifier, because it's easier handling for me than DE. It seems to have helped some, but stalled again.

This was when I woke up today. I need to vacuum again, (assuming this is from the clarifier) but it hasn't changed much in a couple days.

IMG_6007.jpeg

IMG_1443.jpg

Hang in there. I am sure the rain does not help any. No more clarifier either. Just fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/4 with pool water and add DE and mix it real good. Then pour it in the skimmer. That is the way I did it. As it would get close to empty I let a little more pool water in the bucket and swirled it around.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet within 2-3 days of using DE it will be sparkling like my pool as long as you re add after you backwash.

Hang in there. I am sure the rain does not help any. No more clarifier either. Just fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/4 with pool water and add DE and mix it real good. Then pour it in the skimmer. That is the way I did it. As it would get close to empty I let a little more pool water in the bucket and swirled it around.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet within 2-3 days of using DE it will be sparkling like my pool as long as you re add after you backwash.

Yeah what she said!

You have come so far! Just this one last push to get it DONE!

Kim

How do you add DE without an skimmer? I haven't managed to get that in yet :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does your vacuum connect to the filter, or does it go into a bag? If the stuff you're vacuuming goes straight to the filter, get an assistant. Get the vacuum going and then hold it upside down a couple inches below the surface of the pool. It'll work as a skimmer. Then slowly pour some premixed DE slurry right at the opening so it gets vacuumed off into the filter.

Best I can think of.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am assuming she has the standard intex ports for intake and return. Since you would be using a small amount of DE, I would put maybe a 1/2 measuring cup full in something like a red solo cup mixed with some pool water and hold it up to the intake so it sucks the slurry out of the cup. You would have to do small amounts at a time to prevent it from clogging the hoses.

Ahhh Richard that's brilliant !! I'll have to give it a try tomorrow. I LOVE having a real vacuum for the pool!!

My worry at this point is mostly the electric bill that's going to follow over a month of the pump running 24/7! Yikes. It usually runs 4 hours a day.

I've had my sand filter for two years, I just ditched the B adapters this year and put the larger return/inlet on. I was sick of worrying that it was constantly going to fall off, AGAIN. LOL Year 3 with the pool and this is the first real problem. The skimmer is on my list of upgrades, it just hasn't happened yet. Now I really just want a bigger pool....

If you still have your intex skimmer you can still hang it up and you can probably just stick the hose (that used to push onto an attachment on the return) in the new return hole and the pump suction will hold it in.

That's how I have my intex skimmer set up. The hose is just stuck in the hole. I got rid of my intex fittings and switched to 1.5" Hayward fittings.

Of course if you don't still have your over the wall skimmer and that small hose that goes from its bottom to the pool wall...weeelll then my suggestion won't work. lol

Ahhh sorry to have disappeared, I've been swimming!

The pool cleared up a TON about about 24 hours after my last post. I def do think the clarifier helped, even though I know its kinda frowned upon here. I knew for a fact there wasn't anything growing in the water or I wouldn't have even tried it.

IMG_1502.jpg

The next day it looked like this!!!

IMG_1534.jpg

I decided to go ahead and shut the pump off and let everything I could get to settle on the bottom then vacuum to waste. I officially declare the SLAM successful, and I better never have to do one again! I'm way to impatient for it!

IMG_1545.jpg

So the sparkle is back, and I already have my first sunburn from today!

IMG_1543.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.