Opening the Pool, what goes first?

What is the point of speculating? You have not told us anything that would point to algae specifically. You have also not shown a high CC that would point to ammonia ... although that is still my guess based on the clear water and very rapid FC depletion.

What did you report your CYA as? What was it last year before you closed?

jblizzle said:
What is the point of speculating? You have not told us anything that would point to algae specifically. You have also not shown a high CC that would point to ammonia ... although that is still my guess based on the clear water and very rapid FC depletion.

What did you report your CYA as? What was it last year before you closed?

I do not remember but I believe I have my last test written down, maybe around 50? at the begininig this year I wasnt showing any CYA, so yes it might seem it got converted to ammonia? as of last night I was showing around 20-30 CYA.

Ok here is my results
FC - 0 or close to it (added extra powder and one drop of 871 just to make sure but didn't really notice much change in color to pink at all or back to clear)
CC - between 0.5 and 1
CYA - 30 to 35
PH - 7.2 (how can my PH have dropped? usually it only goes up, and I did add 10 bags of salt already)

Tested for Ammonia and got 0, tried twice (could be somewhere between 0 and 0.25 but looked closest to 0)

So any ideas? I was almost sure it was ammonia as you suggested. Should I continue shocking now, wait till Thursday? what does it look like.

jblizzle said:
I am very curious to see what you get for a reading ... most notably whether your CC will be significant soon after chlorine addition.
I just added 7 gallons of 8.25 Bleach. Do I need to shoot for that Mustard Algae mark ? or should I be ok with regular shock level? I guess is there a chance I have mustard algae is what I wonder, no idea what it looks like.

jblizzle said:
NO. You never shoot for mustard algae level until you have completed the actual shock process first.
ahhh so I guess I was putting in too much bleach anyways...... but let me ask you this, the shock is done when u pass OCLT? how can I pass OCLT if there is mustard algae in the pool for example and yet I am just reaching the shock level? would it not kill the algae then and so I would never pass the OCLT?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
You would pass the OCLT because most of the mustard algae would be gone. But it is resilient and will come back. Thus the recommendation to raise higher for 24 hours after the regular shock process. Why does this even matter? You do not have mustard algae.
pool-school/mustard_algae
ahhh no I guess not :) I was starting to get worried because as I continue to scrab the walls I see stuff falling off, I thought it was just dirt but it still coming of today and I started to think maybe algea, I did not notice before but after adding the bleach and scrabbing the deep end does seem to have a tint of green on the bottom.

Ok here is what I got,

FC- 22
CC - around 1.5

Looks like im over the hump? what should I do now?

22 was exactly what I was shooting for so it was very accurate, but I guess I really just needed to raise it to 14.

Read the Mustard link again ... I did not say 2 days. The Mustard level is done for 24 hours ... after the regular shock process ... which may take 1-30 days (slight exaggeration).

There is nothing you have indicated that points to mustard algae.

jblizzle said:
Read the Mustard link again ... I did not say 2 days. The Mustard level is done for 24 hours ... after the regular shock process ... which may take 1-30 days (slight exaggeration).

There is nothing you have indicated that points to mustard algae.
Yes sorry I corrected myself.

:cheers:
I am having another issue, if you can call that, and I remember I had a similar issue last year. It seems that the chlorine now is holding pretty much all day, I tested after work and after dark and its at 18 which was more or less what I was shooting for this morning when I dumped 3 bottles of bleach. Last year I also had a problem lowering the chlorine level, I think it was still high when I closed the pool 3 months later. I set my cholorinator for 40% only last year and filter run 6 hours a day. I guess I can keep the chlorinator off all together for a few days but is it possible the chlorine will stay high? Is this a common occurance?
CC is now at 0 and CYA somewhere between 40 and 50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.