Opening Test Results - Unusual!

duraleigh said:
Disregard the chunks...if the solution turns pink, you have chlorine and the test will be valid...even if some of the powder remains undissolved

I did at first, but then got FC=7.0. I thought now way could that have happened all of a sudden. Then I repeated test and got FC=20 and repeated in twice more to restore my confidence. I didn't think it could be operator error, which made me wonder about the chunks. I'll consider it just an anomoly!

Re: Opening Test Results - Latest OCLT Result

Recall at 11:10pm Monday night FC=20; CC=0.5
Tuesday at 5:45am: FC=18; CC=0.5
My last OCLT I lost 3.5ppm FC.
This OCLT I lost 2.0ppm FC.

So...per the rules I'm keeping it at shock level and will repeat OCLT tonight.
I'm back to my daily work routine today so won't be as on top of it as I was but if minumum is twice per day (for testing / adjusting) I will exceed that...there will just be a big gap between morning and evening test.

Is it typical for the last bit of the shocking process to kind of extend a few days like this?
I was hoping to see CC=0. Are there people that never get there? What could be in the pool after 10 days of shock level?

Re: Opening Test Results - Latest OCLT Result

fredder9 said:
Is it typical for the last bit of the shocking process to kind of extend a few days like this?
I was hoping to see CC=0. Are there people that never get there? What could be in the pool after 10 days of shock level?
Yes, it's typical. Like so many challenges, the first 90% only takes 10% of the time, and each increment beyond that gets progressively harder. Remember, whatever algae is left must be a pretty tough strain to have withstood things this long.

Refresh my memory: have you scrubbed behind lights and under ladder rungs and anywhere else that is difficult to reach?

Last summer there was someone who fought for a month to pass the OCLT.

I brush the walls a couple times per day.
I pay attention to the lights to do a good job around them.
I have not put the ladder or rails into the pool yet...now that you mentioned that, should I do something special with them before doing that? They have just been stored in my shed through the winter. My plan was to put them in tomorrow.

I'm aware of the ol' 90/10 rule so I figured it get's tougher to get the last 5% which is really where I am at.

Pool store guys would start talking about white mold and other crazy stuff (which I never fell for buying anything), but just made me curious if there are types of algae/bacteria that just never go away. The pool is sparkly clean and looks better than ever so it does feel funny to be still worrying about shock level -- but I understand the process and am sticking to it.

Hmmm...I've NEVER pulled the lights out. I guess I figured I'd somehow get electrocuted if I did (and my degree is electrical engineering, LOL!). Sounds like something I could do this weekend if I don't pass the OCLT by then -- but hopefully it doesn't come to that!

Re: Opening Test Results - Passed OCLT!! - What Now?

11pm Thursday: FC=18.5; CC=0.5
6am Friday: FC=17.5; CC=0.5

:party:

Next Questions:
1) Should I stay at shock level for one more day for the heck of it, or is it time to let FC go down to normal target level which for CYA=50 would be FC=6?
2) I've been reading about how many hours to operate the pump. I've probably always over filtered and under sanitized. For my pool size (24,000 gal) and pump (3/4 HP), how many hours per day should my pump run to get at least 1 turnover per day?
3) What is the best time of day to chlorinate? What is the best timeframe per day to run pump?

Thanks to all who helped, and in advance for continued help. The pool looks better than ever. Even friend here from Florida now commented about it! :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Opening Test Results - Passed OCLT!! - What Now?

fredder9 said:
Passed OCLT this morning.
1) Should I stay at shock level for one more day for the heck of it, or is it time to let FC go down to normal target level which for CYA=50 would be FC=6?
2) I've been reading about how many hours to operate the pump. I've probably always over filtered and under sanitized. For my pool size (24,000 gal) and pump (3/4 HP), how many hours per day should my pump run to get at least 1 turnover per day?
3) What is the best time of day to chlorinate? What is the best timeframe per day to run pump?

...just wanted to be sure folks saw I was looking for some guidance here as I pull out of shock mode....

You are finished with the shock process. Let your FC drift down to normal ranges and keep it there.

Run your pump 12 hours daily to start. Adjust up or down depending on how your water looks.

Chlorinate anytime you want although many folks do so in the evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.