Opening Test Results - Unusual!

duraleigh said:
Wonder if the TFTestKits folks have thought of people like me for this?
1. Well, no. :mrgreen: I can see no practical reason to use the speed stir for the pH test which mixes in about 2 seconds just by shaking....not to mention you would then have to pour it back in the comparator block. Am I missing the point of your question?

2. Nit picking a bit....The packing slip suggests to keep the K-1000 near your pool....not out by the pool. That's too ambiguous, though, and that's our fault for not making it clearer.
I see how easily that can be misinterpreted and I will make a change in the packing slip that will say "near the pool but preferably out of the direct sun and heat"
Leaving the reagents out in the heat and sun is never a good idea.
3. Your pH is too low. Get some muriatic acid and bring it up to the mid 7's.

Yes Dave I know the pH test is easy. I do understand they need to be out of the sunlight and heat, thanks for the reminder. I guess I had put the basic kit away already, then had to get it back out to do just pH (since I was doing chlorine with the main kit). Absolutely no big deal. I understand the main kit to be weekly (unless doing a shock process like I am) and the basic kit to be daily so it probably won't even matter to me after this weekend.

I do understand the pH is too low, but thought I read and have been told not to worry about pH until I am through the shock process. I haven't passed the overnight test yet. I do have Borax on hand though so can certainly do that today if I should.

fredder9 said:
A couple questions:
1) CYA test - kinda subjective with the "until black dot disappears". How hard should I try to see it? Seemed like if I gave 10 seconds or so I'd see a slight outline so would add a few drops. For me, this made the difference between being 60 or 50 so I just chose 55!
2) CH test - it turned to a purple hue at 28 drops. A few more drops to what I would call "blue" so I called it at 31 drops. I know I'm in the good range, but if I'm gonna be a "chemist" I had to ask!
quote]

I think my two "retentive guy" questions got lost in the TFT kit discussionThis as well as whether I should go ahead and adjust my pH before I'm done with the shocking process (it's at 6.8 now) are my only current questions.

....like I said may be silly, but if I'm gonna be a chemist I might as well be a good one!

The good thing about the CYA test is that you can pour the solution back and forth and get a concensus. It should be like the dot never existed.

On most all the tests you should keep adding drops until the last drop doesn't make a change and then don't count that drop. Sounds like you did it right.

What is your FC?
I would bring the pH up to 7.

Bama Rambler said:
The good thing about the CYA test is that you can pour the solution back and forth and get a concensus. It should be like the dot never existed.

On most all the tests you should keep adding drops until the last drop doesn't make a change and then don't count that drop. Sounds like you did it right.

What is your FC?
I would bring the pH up to 7.

At 2:50 FC=17.5 and CC=1.0
At 5:15 FC=12.0 and CC=0.5

I will go bring the pH up now.
Should I bring back up to shock level tonight?
If I do (or don't), should I do the FC overnight loss test tonight?

Bama Rambler said:
Keep it at shock level. You can run the oclt if you want but remember that part of passing it is that the water is clear.

Water has been crystal clear for 3 days even as I've been battling to get the CC down.
Quite frankly, right now the pool has never looked better...and I've always been pretty good with the pool (albeit with too much effort and $$ probably).

Does this change your advice any?

should I do the FC overnight loss test tonight?
The OCLT is performed to confirm you have completed the shock process.

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Sounds to me like you have 2 of the three so do the OCLT and see if you pass the third.

Re: Opening Test Results - Latest Series of Results

With the new kit, here is how the last day has gone:
Saturday @ 2:50pm (a couple hours after shocking w/ Target = 24): FC=17.5; CC=1.0
Saturday @ 5:50pm: FC=12.0; CC=0.5
Saturday @ 7:30pm: Raised pH to get over 7.0 per suggestion
Saturday @ 11:30pm: FC=7.0; CC=1.0
Saturday @ 11:45pm: Put in 4 gallons 12% bleach
Sunday @ 1:45am: FC=31; CC=1.5 (here I learned that if pool calculator says use 3.5 jugs of bleach that I don't have to feel the need to "just put in 4")
Sunday @ 7:00am: FC=23; CC=1.0

I assume keep at shock level? Based on CYA of 55 my Target would be FC=22 so I am there right now.
Is it possible for CC to go from 1.0 to 0.5 to 1.0 to 1.5 to 1.0 during this time or is that more likely operator error on the test?
I'll have kids wanting to swim today, as I did yesterday. I ask again, is as high as shock level OK to allow this? I've always read warnings that chlorine should be 5.0ppm or below for swimming.
As always, thanks for any guidance.

I ask again, is as high as shock level OK to allow this? I've always read warnings that chlorine should be 5.0ppm or below for swimming.
It's fine to swim. You didn't read that on this forum.

Control your dosage more precisely....why did you go to 31 ppm FC?

You are still losing chlorine during the evening....you are not finished shocking.

CC's move around a bit. Your results are perfectly normal.

duraleigh said:
I ask again, is as high as shock level OK to allow this? I've always read warnings that chlorine should be 5.0ppm or below for swimming.
It's fine to swim. You didn't read that on this forum.

Control your dosage more precisely....why did you go to 31 ppm FC?

You are still losing chlorine during the evening....you are not finished shocking.

CC's move around a bit. Your results are perfectly normal.

As I indicated in the parenthesis of one of my FC/CC reports in previous post, I learned that when pool calculator / 128 ounces tells me 3.5 gallons of bleach, I shouldn't go ahead and put in 4.
I plan to be precise going forward. Probably a smart thing to do to save money on chemicals anyway!

I will keep at it with shocking. Thanks for info on CC, I won't let that concern me.

Thanks again....by the way Dave I am very happy with how easy the recommended kit and speedstir makes this process. Gotta admit it's kinda fun too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Opening Test Results - Update

OK here was today (Sunday):
Sunday @ 7am: FC=23; CC=1.0
Sunday @ 9:45am: FC=16.0; CC=1.0
*added 100 oz bleach. Target is FC=20 as CYA is 50.
Sunday @ 12:15pm: FC=22; CC=1.0 (barely, probably 0.75?)
Sunday @ 3:50pm: FC=16; CC=0.5
*added 100oz bleach
Sunday @ 8:15pm: FC=16.5; CC=0.5
*added 87oz bleach
Sunday @ 10:30pm: FC=18.5; CC=0.5 (barely, probably 0.25?)

...left it at that, will see how I do on the overnight test now.

Any advice at this point? Pool is crystal clear.

Re: Opening Test Results - Update

fredder9 said:
OK here was today (Sunday):
Sunday @ 7am: FC=23; CC=1.0
Sunday @ 9:45am: FC=16.0; CC=1.0
*added 100 oz bleach. Target is FC=20 as CYA is 50.
Sunday @ 12:15pm: FC=22; CC=1.0 (barely, probably 0.75?)
Sunday @ 3:50pm: FC=16; CC=0.5
*added 100oz bleach
Sunday @ 8:15pm: FC=16.5; CC=0.5
*added 87oz bleach
Sunday @ 10:30pm: FC=18.5; CC=0.5 (barely, probably 0.25?)

...left it at that, will see how I do on the overnight test now.

Any advice at this point? Pool is crystal clear.
Run the OCLT then get ready to party. :swim: :snorkle: :splash: :party:

Re: Opening Test Results - Almost!

Dang...so close on the OCLT.
Last reading last night FC=18.5; CC=0.5
1st reading this morning before the sunrise FC=15.0; CC=1.0 (barely, probably 0.75?).

On a positive note, Saturday night I lost 8ppm FC and Sunday night I lost 3.5ppm FC.
So....I should be getting there.

About to add 124 oz of bleach. I think I'll be less precise and add the whole 128 oz!

I guess there's not a thing called "good enough" with the pool school?!! :p

Re: Opening Test Results - Almost!

fredder9 said:
Dang...so close on the OCLT.
Last reading last night FC=18.5; CC=0.5
1st reading this morning before the sunrise FC=15.0; CC=1.0 (barely, probably 0.75?).

On a positive note, Saturday night I lost 8ppm FC and Sunday night I lost 3.5ppm FC.
So....I should be getting there.

About to add 124 oz of bleach. I think I'll be less precise and add the whole 128 oz!

I guess there's not a thing called "good enough" with the pool school?!! :p
Sure there is. That's why the targets are in a range, not an exact number.

True story: my brother was visiting and we were on the patio having our morning coffee. I hauled out the big ol' TF100 and the speedstir and started running tests. Not all of them, just pH, TA, and FC/CC. He watched me do it. I just needed the daily chlorine, so I walked over to the shed and grabbed a jug and stood over the return and poured in about a quart.

"What? You're super precise on the testing and then you don't even measure what you dump in?"
"It's close enough."

He probably still hasn't figured it out. :-D But I was well above minimum and +/- a couple ounces wasn't going to make much difference; it probably wouldn't have even affected the test results.

I guess there's not a thing called "good enough" with the pool school?!!
As 320 says, "Yeah, on some things".

However, I think you might be referring to your 3.5 FC loss on the OCLT. That really needs to be not more than 1 ppm. That'll prove to you that you have removed ALL the living organism (pretty much) from your pool.

I would agree that you are getting close, though.

duraleigh said:
I guess there's not a thing called "good enough" with the pool school?!!
As 320 says, "Yeah, on some things".

However, I think you might be referring to your 3.5 FC loss on the OCLT. That really needs to be not more than 1 ppm. That'll prove to you that you have removed ALL the living organism (pretty much) from your pool.

I would agree that you are getting close, though.

I did like the anecdote on testing vs. adding chlorine (felt that way myself!)...but yes was referring to the OCLT.
Don't worry, I'm keeping at it.
I'm happy to only be using 2 - 3 gallons of chlorine per day right now to stay at shock level as opposed to the 12 - 16 I was using just 3 or 4 days ago. Amazed at how sparkling the pool is right now. I'll save patting myself on the back and saluting the whole TFP gang until I pass the OCLT though!!

Re: Opening Test Results - OCLT #3 upcoming...

Reminder my target shock level is 20. Here is how my day went:
Monday @ 5:45am: FC=15.0; CC=1.0 (barely...maybe 0.75?)
*added 128 oz bleach
Monday @ 1:45pm: FC=15.0; CC=0.5
*added 128 oz bleach
Monday at 4:45pm: FC=21.5; CC=0.5
Monday at 8:15pm: FC=17.0; CC=1.0 (barely...maybe 0.75?)
*added 75 oz bleach
Monday @ 11:10pm: FC=20; CC=0.5
...now hoping OCLT test is better than last night when I lost 3.5ppm FC overnight.

Question: Is it common given my last couple days for CC to not get to zero? Hopefully the chlorine usage keeps going down. Kinda feels like I lost momentum some today and it was a lot like yesterday.

Test Kit Observation: At my 11:10pm test, I noticed my "heaping spoon" had a lot of white "chunks" in it. When I put it in the water, the water was a very light red which would have indicated to me that I lost a ton of chlorine all of a sudden. For kicks, I added a 2nd heaping spoon and it then got very red. FC=20. I rinsed and redid the test, avoiding getting too many white chunks on the spoon. FC=20. Just to be very sure since I'm doing OCLT, did it a 3rd time and got FC=20. So I'm confident my FC is 20, but curious about the white chunks in the DPD powder and if I have to pay attention to that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.