Opening SLAM question

Jbmiller15

Jul 12, 2019
Massachusetts
I opened my pool last weekend when temps were in the 70s up here in Massachusetts. In prepping for my opening SLAM my vacuum broke and I finally received the replacement part I needed today. The water is clear enough to see bottom of deep end with quite about of dirt visible on the floor. I have everything I need now and want to get it done, however...

Record cold temps (mid 30s) are in the forecast for tomorrow with snow up to 1" (gotta love New England weather). Will these cold temps have any impact on my test results if I start SLAM today? Should I wait until temps (upper 50s- low 60s) return to normal in a couple days?

Latest test results:

TA - 80 (raised from 30 with baking soda)
FC - 0.0
CC - 0.0
PH - 7.2
CYA - 40
CH -100

Thanks in advance for any advice

If the water is clear enough to see the dirt on the bottom, why are you planning a SLAM. Just get the chlorine up. Do an overnight measurement to see how much is being used, and use that to determine if you should SLAM or not.

Ok. Thank you. I am still new to pools and thought you needed to SLAM every time to open. Last year my pool was a deep green because I waited to long to open it which is why I opened earlier this year.

So, does the temperature affect test results at all?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.