Opening Pool with Algae, Order of Operation

originalptp

Mar 6, 2020
East Tennessee
Hi all, I'm preparing to open my pool (2nd full season as owner). A bit of algae has grown in the offseason. I was disappointed to find this since last year I was told the algae was because I waited too long. It is clear I need some tips about keeping your pool clear over the winter (and I will read up on that in a bit). Anyway, I plan to SLAM the pool and get it back to where it needs to be, but had a question about my plan:

I planned on vacuuming out the algae at the bottom to waste before adding any pH adjustment and chemicals. The assumption is that physically removing as much of the algae as possible minimizes the Cl needed/time in the SLAM process. Vacuuming requires use of the pump, but it's not being filtered/returned, so I figure it's OK.

My friend who's worked in the pool business for 15 years said that they don't vacuum first and let the filter and chlorine take care of it. I assume with sufficient backwashing, this would also be fine. But alas, now I'm doubting my original plan. Any advice? Should I vacuum first? Or is it fine to wait until the water clears enough for me to better see to the bottom? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
Vacuuming to waste will not hurt the process. If you have significant organic debris in the pool the more you remove the quicker the SLAM Process will go. More importantly is that you have a proper test kit. Please add what kit you have to your signature.

Once you have read through the SLAM Process post up your questions here.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: mrcarcrazy
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You're on the right track. :goodjob:

full

You’re on the right track. I agree that getting that organic material out will make your life easier. Time to go buy the store out of bleach!!

Just wondering did you close late and open early?
That typically will keep the water clear.
Mine has never gone green over winter. I stop adding bleach and take everything offline thanksgiving weekend,
then put it all back online March 1st. Water temp is typically around 45 degrees or less during this time. I find that algae can
start in my area when the water is around 50 degrees.

I closed October 15th last year. I thought that was late enough, but maybe not. By then, it's pretty cold and nobody wants to go swimming anymore (even though I run the heater).

And now that I think about it, I had fractured my foot last year and the pool hadn't been taken care of up to my standards while I couldn't walk. I didn't pay someone totake care of it during that time, just didn't get out there as much as I would have otherwise. It's possible that the chlorine level got too low for a couple weeks prior to closing and we didn't treat it well enough at closing to kill everything off. It wasn't green when I closed, but maybe there was some residual algae that started to grow. That's the only thing I can come up with. But I will also try to do more algae prevention during the off-season this year. That's traditionally what the old pool company did and I have not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.