Ottawa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey team,

First time opening my pool.

So I’ve found all my plugs and placed them in the appropriate spots and filled the pump with water (Priming I believe it’s called) but water won’t flow and have to keep filling the pump up cause it goes below the pipe level

I have a Hayward Super Pump 700 and Sand Master SM2506T

Any tips? Can’t seem to find an air release valve I keep seeing online

Dan,

Just to make sure... Are you trying to run the pump with the lid off???

If so, you can't. The lid must be on so that the pump can create the suction needed to suck the water up from the pool.

The water also has to have a place to go, so make sure that there are no valves closed that will prevent the water from leaving the pump, going through the filter, and then back to the pool.

Thanks

Jim R.

Ok I should clarify

- The lid is closed when ran
- The baskets are clean
- The pipes are all clear to the pool
- There are no plug for the jets installed, they are removed
- Water levels are good

Dan,

Is there a good O-Ring under the pump lid.

The reasons that a pump won't suck water are:

Lid O-Ring broken or missing
Impeller is clogged
No or low water in the skimmer
Broken pipe to skimmer.. (unlikely)

Looks like you have check all of the above. :goodjob:

Does your filter have a Recirculate or waste port. Try them and see if the pump primes.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey team,

thanks for those suggestions. I’ll check them all

also this is what the layout looks like and I could be just a novice but I’m not seeing a valve that could be blocking flow?

9C9584F9-73F9-4375-9E8F-37D0F8FF4338.jpeg

Dan,

The super pump has a square "O-ring" that can get stretched and will not fit into the slot. You might want to check that.

The lid needs to be screwed down well..

Make sure the MPV valve on the top of your filter is set to "Filter"

Are there any valves at the other end of the pipe coming into the pump??

Thanks,

Jim R,

You can't fill the pump above the inlet (unless there is a check valve hiding somewhere). Try it with the MPV in the recirc position. Less restriction. Hayward sand filters don't have air relief fittings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.