Opening Pool & Solar Cover

Jul 25, 2016
Indiana
Just working on Slamming the pool, getting it initially filtered and cleaned out, etc. Question is I am working to get it up to temp and currently have the solar cover on it while not working on it. (aka while I am at work and at night) Is this a good practice? Only issue I am seeing is the fact that it interferes with skimming efficiencies. Thoughts/Feedback or advice? Thanks in advance everybody!

I do. I don't take it fully off every day, especially if I'm not using it. Just make sure you're still checking the chemicals every day though. A couple days of being lazy will make that pool water gross.

I leave mine on sometimes for days at a time. My take on it is this. I keep my pool clean, there is not much organic matter in there that needs to react with FC. With the solar cover on, nothing really falls into the pool (bugs, leaves, etc). so there is not much to react with the FC to create CC in the first place. I do test with the cover on, and if I see CC starting get up to a solid 0.5 ppm (as opposed to a slight tinge of pink, which may really just be my eyes) then I will pull the cover off for a few hours.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.