Opening pool issues

Splinters

Apr 16, 2014
Northern Virginia
A very early warm spring caught me flatfooted and my pool turned green before I could get it open. I went and got (4) five gallon barrels of liquid shock from the pool store. My question is can I get the water circulating without installing the filter grids. I think I would like to get the water clear before running it through the grids.

What test kit are you using? Add it to your signature.

Looks like it's time to SLAM Process
Initially, you can run without the filter grids. Once the pool looks a "little" better, you need to install the grids and charge with DE to filter out the dead algae. Be prepared to backwash often. Backwash when filter pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. After the SLAM is successfully completed, do a complete filter teat-down to completely clean the filter and grids.

Initially, you can run without the filter grids. Once the pool looks a "little" better, you need to install the grids and charge with DE to filter out the dead algae. Be prepared to backwash often. Backwash when filter pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. After the SLAM is successfully completed, do a complete filter teat-down to completely clean the filter and grids.

Thank you for the quick reply! (y)

I've owned this pool for 24 years and have never had this happen before.

I have a TF-100 test kit.

Got the pool running without the grids and dumped 15 gallons of the shock in. Reserving the fourth barrel to see how it looks in the morning.

TF-100 - great. Add your test kit to you signature.

The SLAM Process is NOT a dump and pray or one time thing.
Your pool didn't take a day to turn green. Chances are it isn't going to take only a day to be TFP clear again either.
Read thru the SLAM Process again and follow it to the letter.

What is your current CYA?
The chlorine dosing (daily and for a SLAM) is based on your current CYA level.

Are you using POOLMATH][/POOLMATH]?
When was the last time you did a full set of tests?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.