Opening For the First Time

Jun 30, 2018
Willco IL
We purchased a 24' round above-ground pool last year and we are opening it for the first time. We removed the cover yesterday, and I was thrilled to see clear water, with just some dirt on the bottom to be vacuumed up.

We let it fill up to the skimmer overnight (and my water is HARD), and I still have about 2" inches to go until full, I ran my tests. Here is where I stand:

Chlorine - .4
Ph - 7.2
T/A - 155
CH - 400
CYA - Over 100

What are my next steps??

100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.

Based on those results, you can determine how much water you need to drain and refill with fresh to lower you CYA to 40 ppm or so.

So, here's the crazy thing - i just ran the test with straight water from my tap -- levels are also over 100 - dot never disappears.

I think I need to buy a new bottle of reagent solution and try again? I bought the kit late last year, and kept it inside over the winter - it is not even a year old.

LOL -- Thanks for clearing that up (no pun intended!!). In that case, my CYA is virtually zero....the water is clear after mixing and dropping into the view tube. (My CYA was so bad last year that it did look like skim milk - thanks to too many pucks before I found this site and switched to liquid chlorine).

LOL -- Thanks for clearing that up (no pun intended!!). In that case, my CYA is virtually zero....the water is clear after mixing and dropping into the view tube. (My CYA was so bad last year that it did look like skim milk - thanks to too many pucks before I found this site and switched to liquid chlorine).
This brings up the next item: ammonia.

Pools that should have CYA but don't at opening could be the victim of a certain bacteria that converts CYA into ammonia. And it takes a lot of bleach to neutralize ammonia. Enough so that water replacement might be faster and cheaper.

So... here's what to do: add enough bleach to get to 10 FC. Pump on and brush things around to get some cross currents so it mixes well. Then retest FC & CC in 15 minutes.

If FC is less than 5 and/or CC jumped up you have ammonia. Adding any CYA now might just feed the bacteria and create even more ammonia. So you'll need to pause and stare at the results and maybe post them to decide if bleaching the ammonia out or replacing water is the best course.

Ok...so once the pump was running, I added a gal of 12% chlorine....15 mins later I'm getting a fc reading of 9 and a cc reading of zero. My cya level is still less than 30...the solution is virtually clear when I add it.

Suggestions on when to try another fc/cc reading??

For now 30 - 60 minutes after the first test and see how the FC holds up.

Reactions: Wishbone851
Ok...so once the pump was running, I added a gal of 12% chlorine....15 mins later I'm getting a fc reading of 9 and a cc reading of zero. My cya level is still less than 30...the solution is virtually clear when I add it.

Suggestions on when to try another fc/cc reading??
That's good. No ammonia. You can add CYA any time you want. remember, sock. not straight into the filter. Every hour should be more than enough time.

Reactions: Wishbone851

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.