Opening fiberglass pool

Aug 13, 2018
Louisville
Hi all, another season is upon us.

uncovered pool to a nasty looking lake!! Anyway vacuumed to waste, like an algae coating, but pretty loose. Did my best, couldn’t see the bottom for most of it.

let the pumps go a bit with no cartridge filer (I have 4x). There is so much algae it would clog it up quickly.

I decided to put in 2 gal of 10% while I netted and brushed for about another hour.

still pretty dark, but better 2 hrs later.

I tested water just to have a baseline. After I was done.

FC 6
CC 1
PH 9 ( just guessing, it was past range)
TA 50
CYA maybe 0, was very clear at 30.

May questions:
I was going to let it circulate over night and come back to maybe vaccine to waste again, then add filters. Sound ok?

should I turn off jets in the morning (14 hours running) and let it sit so I can vaccine to waste again?

the algae is all stirred and in small pieces I have netted a lot of it out.

I have some pucks I can put in for the CYA to go up? Or just visit store and get the solid with the socks?

Am I worried about that PH at the moment? Don’t want to ruin anything, but also know it probably not accurate at the moment.

thanks as usual guys

Read your post again. If the FC of 6 was after an hour, no worries.

I would get CYA granules and use the sock method. If you plan to follow the SLAM Process right now you want 30 ppm CYA in the water soon to help the FC stick around to kill the algae.

Drop that pH before you start. Do it in stages. Assume your starting pH is 8.2 in Poolmath. Add the amount of acid needed and check after circulating for 30 minutes or so.

Vac to waste is up to you. If large debris get that out. Not sure a vac to waste will do much until you start killing the algae, as it will reproduce quickly.

Once the granules of CYA are dissolved from the sock, wait at least 24 hours prior to testing the CYA level.

You can start the SLAM now. Just assume you have the CYA level in the pool that you have added.

Reactions: Tommy_G
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.