Opening early (for us) this year after learning about the benefits.

Palacemanager

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2020
Vergennes Township, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We live in West Michigan and we decided to open before the water started warming up. I checked it this morning and after a few 75-80 degree days the temp is 60. The pool held it's water level over the winter which was a relief as we had a small liner cut last year that we repaired just before we closed. Last week in anticipation of pulling the cover off, we put the pump on cover to drain the water. A few hours later I looked out to check it and the pool level was way down! I don't understand why it sucked water out of the pool. It's a brand new solid cover! UGH! We have well water so I really hate to add anymore than I have to, but it is what it is. The water is crystal clear and very little debris in bottom. We do use a water filter on the end of the hose to refill. I'm assuming I will test the water AFTER I get it up to level and the equipment is running? Or do I test it before we refill, and start the equipment to get an accurate reading of the remaining water? I have the TFP pro kit. Next question is that the weather is going to change from 80 today and tomorrow to 35 and rain/snow on Monday and then rain and cool pretty much for the next week, Should I just super chlorinate to keep things clear and run the Pentair VS pump at a low constant speed since it's going to continue to be cold? We will put the mesh leaf cover on to keep spring yuckies from getting into the pool. I'm feeling new all over again! I do every year, even though I've owned an AGP for 30 years! (But I am 63 yo and I have the memory of a gnat now! :ROFLMAO: I AM new to the TFP method of JUST liquid chlorine, testing everyday and SLAMMING. I will update again with my numbers in the TFP app, but just let me know my steps here! Thanks so much!

20230415_125534.jpg20230415_125545.jpg20230415_125600.jpg

I'm assuming I will test the water AFTER I get it up to level and the equipment is running?
Run the pump for a full day before testing. It needs to be good and mixed after sitting for months. Add 5ppm of FC to start until you have good results.

Post those numbers up and we'll go from there.

Run the pump on low speed 24/7 if the temps approach freezing.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Have you tested the well water with the hose filter just to see if there are metals, CH, etc?

Metal tests are expensive but pool stores will usually give you a metal test for free. I have a well so I'm cautious to use too much as well.

Run the pump for a full day before testing. It needs to be good and mixed after sitting for months. Add 5ppm of FC to start until you have good results.

Good to know about running the system for 24 hours first! We are removing the wretched Frog Leap system so off to home depot for some PVC to replace it while we wait for the water to refill. 5ppm of what? FC is liquid Chlorine? Sorry for my ignorance! :shock:

Have you tested the well water with the hose filter just to see if there are metals, CH, etc?

Metal tests are expensive but pool stores will usually give you a metal test for free. I have a well so I'm cautious to use too much as well.
Hmmm..... good idea to test it with the filter on. I'm slightly skeptical of those things anyway. They aren't that cheap and the way they look after one use I almost feel like they are a one time use and then I should get a new one again. I bought a bit more expensive one last year and it had some rating on how much water it treats in a year, but I don't trust that either. But testing is a great idea! We recently had to replace our water softener for in house water, and had our outside faucets tested and the water is really high in iron. I can't recall the exact number, but 13 rings a bell in my head.

5ppm of what? FC is liquid Chlorine? Sorry for my ignorance! :shock:
Yes. Liquid chlorine. Per PoolMath. Set up your pool details, then click on any parameter such as 'FC'. Enter the current value and the target value (0-5) and it will tell you to add XX ounces/gallons etc.

I just thought of another question...I have always used borate in the beginning of each season. Is that recommended? Or just simply chlorine everyday?

question...I have always used borate in the beginning of each season. Is that recommended? Or just simply chlorine everyday?
Did you have a reason to use borates or were you adding them for the sake of adding them ?

Because you asked, I'll guess you can't give me a definitive answer as to why you needed them. So. I'll reccomend going without and there is a 95 out of 100 chance you never needed them. I have a similar sized pool and it's about $150 for borates from 0 to 50. That's pretty spendy when a TFP clear pool is already darn sparkly. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Did you have a reason to use borates or were you adding them for the sake of adding them ?

Because you asked, I'll guess you can't give me a definitive answer as to why you needed them. So. I'll reccomend going without and there is a 95 out of 100 chance you never needed them. I have a similar sized pool and it's about $150 for borates from 0 to 50. That's pretty spendy when a TFP clear pool is already darn sparkly. :)
I used borate only because the pool place that installed our pool said it stabilizes the water using less chlorine, makes it softer and sparkle more. I didn't really know what the scientific purpose was, just what was recommended. It's like 250.00 where I am! So, good......another savings!

Reactions: Newdude
Borates can make the water seem more sparkly, and do make it feel different. They do have a stabilizing effect on pH. What they don't do is have any effect at all on the amount of chlorine you use. I'm assuming they're basing this on the fact that borates can inhibit algae growth, but that has nothing to do with the proper amount of sanitizer in your pool.

If you'd like to keep using them, there's no harm, quite a few people here do. I'd try them for the "silky water" effect, but despite our best effort, our dogs drink out of the pool too much for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Borates can make the water seem more sparkly, and do make it feel different.
I'm starting to think they may have a larger effect on non TFP pools. Our pools are already literally sparkling and don't have the harsh feel the others do.

I was laying gravel around the patio all day last year and the pool was so obnoxiously sparkly that it hurt. The pic didn't even do it justice.

20220915_122002.jpg

We live in West Michigan and we decided to open before the water started warming up. I checked it this morning and after a few 75-80 degree days the temp is 60. The pool held it's water level over the winter which was a relief as we had a small liner cut last year that we repaired just before we closed. Last week in anticipation of pulling the cover off, we put the pump on cover to drain the water. A few hours later I looked out to check it and the pool level was way down! I don't understand why it sucked water out of the pool. It's a brand new solid cover! UGH! We have well water so I really hate to add anymore than I have to, but it is what it is. The water is crystal clear and very little debris in bottom. We do use a water filter on the end of the hose to refill. I'm assuming I will test the water AFTER I get it up to level and the equipment is running? Or do I test it before we refill, and start the equipment to get an accurate reading of the remaining water? I have the TFP pro kit. Next question is that the weather is going to change from 80 today and tomorrow to 35 and rain/snow on Monday and then rain and cool pretty much for the next week, Should I just super chlorinate to keep things clear and run the Pentair VS pump at a low constant speed since it's going to continue to be cold? We will put the mesh leaf cover on to keep spring yuckies from getting into the pool. I'm feeling new all over again! I do every year, even though I've owned an AGP for 30 years! (But I am 63 yo and I have the memory of a gnat now! :ROFLMAO: I AM new to the TFP method of JUST liquid chlorine, testing everyday and SLAMMING. I will update again with my numbers in the TFP app, but just let me know my steps here! Thanks so much!

View attachment 482884View attachment 482885View attachment 482886
Borates can make the water seem more sparkly, and do make it feel different. They do have a stabilizing effect on pH. What they don't do is have any effect at all on the amount of chlorine you use. I'm assuming they're basing this on the fact that borates can inhibit algae growth, but that has nothing to do with the proper amount of sanitizer in your pool.

If you'd like to keep using them, there's no harm, quite a few people here do. I'd try them for the "silky water" effect, but despite our best effort, our dogs drink out of the pool too much for that.
I didn't know it was bad for dogs! Our German Shepherd drinks out of the pool regularly! Another reason to forego the expense.

I'm starting to think they may have a larger effect on non TFP pools. Our pools are already literally sparkling and don't have the harsh feel the others do.

I was laying gravel around the patio all day last year and the pool was so obnoxiously sparkly that it hurt. The pic didn't even do it justice.

View attachment 483140
That is amazing!

Reactions: Newdude
I didn't know it was bad for dogs!
It's fine at pool levels. Dogs shouldn't be drinking pool water in the first place, but lord knows mine love it too. :ROFLMAO:
That is amazing!
THANKS. It's all TFP. I had a week or so lag after building the 2nd pool that I hadn't added the salt yet. It was just as nice feeling as my previous salt pool, and nothing like any liquid chlorine pool I'd ever been in before.

Either pool was blinding on a sunny day, even with sunglasses on. Follow the program to a T, and yours will hurt to look at also. Ask away at any step, and we'll gladly help. :)

Reactions: Palacemanager
Alright Pool buddies, It's a new day and the temps have dropped and the rain has started. We got everything up and running. Filling the pool back up to level took several hours and turned the water greenish....I don't think it's algae, but rather the result of the quality of our lovely well water! (n) I'm not too disappointed with my water testing. You can see by my logs that The TA is super high and has been a constant frustration for a couple of years now. I've added so much MA that I'm surprised that the pool hasn't disintegrated! I'm assuming I need to add it again now, right? I get the high strength stuff. As far as the FC goes, I got a bit overzealous when I added 3 gallons of 12.5% LC. The reason I did that is because I was freaked out at first when I woke up to see the water looking green, but my husband really thinks that's the well water because it immediately started changing shortly after we put the hoses in yesterday. The other reason I put in 3 was because this was chlorine that was left over from last year and I thought it would be less strong.......lesson learned, add a little at a time and test the water!! So give me your thoughts, concerns and recommendations please! Thank you!

20230416_114348.jpg

It's fine at pool levels. Dogs shouldn't be drinking pool water in the first place, but lord knows mine love it too. :ROFLMAO:

THANKS. It's all TFP. I had a week or so lag after building the 2nd pool that I hadn't added the salt yet. It was just as nice feeling as my previous salt pool, and nothing like any liquid chlorine pool I'd ever been in before.

Either pool was blinding on a sunny day, even with sunglasses on. Follow the program to a T, and yours will hurt to look at also. Ask away at any step, and we'll gladly help. :)
Do you have to have a SWG to do salt? I was reading through the pool school and other articles and saw mention of using softner salt, but can you just add that to the pool? SWG's are costly to get started and that isn't really in the budget right now.

Let the FC fall and the iron will likely go back into solution. Have you seen how to filter it out when it's green ?

Do you add calcium or is your fill water high calcium ? You can likely skip that expense too with a vinyl pool.

Do you have to have a SWG to do salt?
You do not. Get a Taylor k-1766 for $30. You'll be surprised how much salt is already in the pool. Then add per poolmath to 2000 ppm from whatever the pool already is. You'll get the feels without the slight taste. Most people begin to taster it around 3000 ppm.

Pool salt and water softener / solar salt are the same thing with different size chunks. Make sure the bag says pure or 99%+ salt. Dump it in the shallow end and come back every 30 mins to brush. It'll probably be gone by the 2nd brushing.

Reactions: mariane
Let the FC fall and the iron will likely go back into solution. Have you seen how to filter it out when it's green ?

Do you add calcium or is your fill water high calcium ? You can likely skip that expense too with a vinyl pool.

You do not. Get a Taylor k-1766 for $30. You'll be surprised how much salt is already in the pool. Then add per poolmath to 2000 ppm from whatever the pool already is. You'll get the feels without the slight taste. Most people begin to taster it around 3000 ppm.

Pool salt and water softener / solar salt are the same thing with different size chunks. Make sure the bag says pure or 99%+ salt. Dump it in the shallow end and come back every 30 mins to brush. It'll probably be gone by the 2nd brushing.
I just briefly read the link you posted about the filtering out the iron, but those methods are preventative and would be used prior to filling correct? So at this point I can't remove it so I just wait for the FC to fall and the the iron will "go back into the solution?" I'm not sure what that means.

I do not add calcium, that is apparently from the fill water. I thought the number was in acceptable range. But yes, a vinyl pool, so probably not an issue. I was just curious what it was so tested for it.

Salt is then a replacement for FC? or is it combined use with it?

And how should I deal with the TA? Muriatic Acid, I know, but how much?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.