Opening a Green Pool - Same Idea as a Clean Pool?

Alright! Back home.
FC - 21
CC - 1
Ph - 6.8-
TA - 100
CYA - Not sure. Ran out of re-agent but have a bottle on the way. Started at zero, have dissolved 4lbs so far. So I’m guessing maybe in 40ish zone?

So Monday morning 4AM I backwashed and added 128oz of 10%. Hit the road. Awesome wife added 128 Oz around 3PM that afternoon. Got home around 6 this evening. Took the readings above. Cleaned skimmer, backwashed, added 128oz, brushed.

Slow and steady progress! Moving into blue, can see a little deeper.

Started using pantyhose on the skimmer. Still very cloudy. Pressure readings aren’t accurate so I’m just backwashing on average twice a day. I think the pressure issue is my multiport valve that has slight pressure loss on the waste side. Have a replacement gasket on the way (along with the CYA)
Because I’m out of CYA re-agent, I’m not sure what my slam levels should be. Do you think the 20+ range is safe until I can get an accurate CYA reading?
Also, should I ignore the ph and ta readings while slamming?
Think my electric bill on the 24/7 pump is going to kill me? So many questions! But I’m psyched.
Appreciate the encouragement! To the granuals dude above - good luck. Stick with the method!

Adding a progress pic and this evening’s status.
B0BCFCF2-8792-4C71-99AD-3CCC0DEA8FB1.jpeg
12179BE4-2012-42DC-8985-BA574132CD0F.jpeg

I'm going to play Guns N' Roses, Patience on a loop while staring at the steps! @ajw22, sounds like I've been running my FC a little high. Any real concerns about bleaching the liner or anything else beyond wasting chlorine?

It takes a long time at a high FC level to bleach a liner. It will be fine for the duration of a SLAM.

Reactions: jasonwbaggett
Day 5 - 5:30PM
FC - 13
CC - 1

Sorry for boring updates. It’s helping keep me accountable! Just backwashed. Added about half a jug of 128oz 10% after taking readings above.

Two questions
1. Whenever my new spider gasket shows up, would there be any benefit or harm from adding some DE while I have the lid off? Thought it might help with the super fine particles.
2. How often should I change the pantyhose I have in the skimmer basket? I’ve been Replacing about once a day.

As always, appreciate your expertise and input.
029ADAD8-9F02-4003-8C20-9B3F24B4D63D.jpeg
CA5F10B1-FBF5-43F5-B7E0-89BBB0E659EE.jpeg
76CF4C3F-ECB2-4EDF-A879-EFB3572A75CA.jpeg

Well that’s embarrassing! Thanks @mknauss! Since my pressure reading is off (I think/hope because of a leaking spider gasket) would I need to wait on adding DE until the new gasket is installed so I can measure the psi change? Or safe to just add a small amount now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you add DE you do need to babysit the filter. It could plug off pretty quick. Preferable to have a proper filter pressure.

Good to know. Thank you. Safe to assume because of the pressure leak that the filter is not filtering as much as it could? Gauge stays 14psi. I had trouble last year (my first year with my own pool) with fine, brown “dust”. Eventually decided it was algae.

So on the multivalve - you state loss on the waste side. Are you losing water to waste all the time?

I am not. At least to my knowledge. Water levels have been steady. Aside from the mysterious only slightly changing psi readings, I didn’t think much about it until I was trying to blow out the lines for winterising. Couldn’t get bubbles Out of the main drains until I totally capped off the waste port. I could be totally wrong but based on forum posts plus the price, gasket seemed like a good first step in the process of elimination. :-/

I am not. At least to my knowledge. Water levels have been steady. Aside from the mysterious only slightly changing psi readings, I didn’t think much about it until I was trying to blow out the lines for winterising. Couldn’t get bubbles Out of the main drains until I totally capped off the waste port. I could be totally wrong but based on forum posts plus the price, gasket seemed like a good first step in the process of elimination. :-/

Ok -- so you have the waste line plugged now?
I think you may have some water bypassing the filter until you get the multivalve fixed. So I would not do any DE until you get that fixed.

Day 7
12PM - FC 17 CC 1
7PM - FC 15 CC1
Assumed CYA of about 40.

New spider gasket, CYA and CYA re-agent arrived today. Water has gotten clean enough I noticed some leaves floating to the top when I was aggressively brushing. Made another pass with the net and gave it a good vacuum. Had a fair amount of leaves caught in the pump basket but not like it was jam packed. Thus far, on the daily maintenance I've been doing more brushing than vacuuming.

It's still pretty cloudy. I had hoped to replace the gasket this afternoon but other chores got in the way. I'm planning to get to it this weekend and will also add some DE to the sand filter in hopes it will reduce cloudiness so I can vacuum more efficiently.

Does an only 2 ppm drop in FC from noon to 7pm seem normal considering there are leaves and cloudiness in there? It was a semi-cloudy day but we had moments of sun too.

Sound like I'm on the right track? Trying to be patient and remember @kimkats saying this part feels the longest. I've been keeping an eye on the pool steps per her suggestion. We're to the point now I can distinguish between the end of the bottom (4th) step and the start of the liner. Progress!.. Even if it's slow-ish.

TGIF YA'LL!

Day 9 - 5:45PM
CYA - 40 (reagent finally arrived)
FC - 9
CC - 1
Added 128oz of 10% to bring it back up to slam levels.
Attempted to replace the gasket today but once I had it open, I was uncertain. The gasket I purchased lines up and seems to be a perfect fit. But instead of installing it down in the “bowl” it actually needs to be installed on the bottom of the lid/key assembly. I started reading conflicting info if you can actually replace those or if you just need an entirely new assembly. Didn’t want to get it wrong and not have the ability to keep the water filtering/circulating so I just reassembled. Any idea if the Hayward SP0714T gasket is indeed replaceable on its own?

Attachments

• 7F222210-6C93-495F-8D11-2C013A7002F9.jpeg
    7F222210-6C93-495F-8D11-2C013A7002F9.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1
INYO pools article specifically calls out the SP0714T as needing an entirely new assembly. Looks like it’ll run $25. Fortunately I accidentally ordered two gaskets, so by the time I return them I’ll break even.
Pool continues to slowly clear. Ready to get the gasket issue resolved so I can add DE and get a better idea about pressure change.
Hope everyone had a good weekend!
SPX0714CA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.