Opened pool in Canada!

eldender

Silver Supporter
Jun 27, 2018
Canada
Had our PB open our pool today (they put shock and algae side in). Ordered the TF-100 and am shipping it to NY where I'll have to go pick it up (since they don't ship to Canada!) and am soooo anxious! It's pretty cloudy but overall not too bad. A few questions:

1) The PB put our safety cover right into it's storage bag. It's obviously wet and had a few spiders and worms on it. Should I be doing something to clean it or just leave it all summer?
2) What do you think this stuff is on the pool? Dirt or algae? It looks black and not green (video posted below!)
3) Tomorrow I should vacuum and put it to waste, right? I need to drain some of the pool anyway so this would help. Am I missing something else big I should be doing?

https://youtu.be/a5xWFJNd9-M

Had our PB open our pool today (they put shock and algae side in). Ordered the TF-100 and am shipping it to NY where I'll have to go pick it up (since they don't ship to Canada!) and am soooo anxious! It's pretty cloudy but overall not too bad. A few questions:

1) The PB put our safety cover right into it's storage bag. It's obviously wet and had a few spiders and worms on it. Should I be doing something to clean it or just leave it all summer?

Cleaning it and letting it dry before bagging the cover would be the best. If you can handle the cover. Some folks power wash it.

I let the guys who open my pool fold and bag my cover and levae it outside to dry through the mesh cover. Once dry I move it into the gargage. But my cover is not folded with worms or spiders on it. That concerns me as it is food that mice will smell and go after and eat into the cover bag.

2) What do you think this stuff is on the pool? Dirt or algae? It looks black and not green (video posted below!)

I think it is just accumulated winter dirt. Let your pool cleaner vacuum it up. If it is algae it will return.

3) Tomorrow I should vacuum and put it to waste, right? I need to drain some of the pool anyway so this would help. Am I missing something else big I should be doing?

https://youtu.be/a5xWFJNd9-M

Vacuum to waste is better then dumping it into your filter if you can handle the water loss.

What test kit do you have? Figure out what your water needs.

Those safety covers won’t have an issue being put away wet. They dry out pretty darn quick once the warm days get to them. No idea why your pool company is wasting their money on putting algacide in, it’s a waste of money. The only thing a freshly opened clear pool requires is balancing of all chems and getting the chlorine up to recommended levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.