Opened pool after 3 years of being closed.

Ok so I spoke tooooo soon, oh well. Had a large FC loss last night, scratching my head, but alas, super shock, brush, skim, settle, vaccuum..........it is looking better it's just very slow!
Did a full set of #'s today and ph was higher than expected.

ph-7.5
FC-15 down from 22 last night
CC-.5
TA-50
CH-280
CYA-50

Should I bring ph down and TA up at this point or wait and just keep shocking? I went back to when I actually started my first #'s and I have been officially at shock level for 4 weeks as of today! phew! Up to over 250$ in bleach ouch!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 184
So since I'm still fighting organics obviously, bring TA up, but wait for ph until I'm done shocking which could be a while.......I thought shocking was more effective at a lower ph? Just trying to understand.

I am at 30 today per recommendations. I have been trying to keep it above 23 at least for at least 2 weeks of that,it does fall at night but never below 15. Before I was at 12-18 and not getting anywhere. I'm brushing 2-3 times a day. Thank goodness I stay at home to check this thing a lot.

Ok JasonLion gotcha, I will bring TA up today, is trying for 70 ok?

over shot the TA a little, got it up to 110. Have the FC at 33 today, still losing FC over night but CC has been .5 for a few days now. Possibly I'll be leveling off soon. Hopefully it will change enough to swim for the weekend but I'm not sure if it will happen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep I am been using TFP test kit for over 2 years now! Just bought new refills for kit to make sure my numbers weren't due to old reagents and still having the same prob. At first I thought it was my filter but then got a new cart and still eating chlorine. Guess being closed for this long really can be a bugger for some.
The original pics you can see a dark cloud in the deep end, that was loads of smeg that is now gone, it had all settled to the deep end. It has been a process to get it out. Now when I brush I barely get anything up.
It is frustrating for sure, I thought it should be better but improvement is minimal at best every third day, and I'm cleaning my new cart twice daily to keep it new looking. I have needed loads of POP!

"smeg"..........Excellent! (per Mr. Burns) I've never heard that before but it's very descriptive!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have needed loads of POP!
I completely agree and you have demonstrated that you have it, too. Your case is particularly troublesome but you must remember this is a long neglected pool and it is simply being very, very stubborn from being dirty so long. There may be some tiny algae-type critters in there that not everyone has to deal with.

The answer remains simple, however. As long as you're consuming chlorine, you must continue to replenish with more chlorine. I know you know that, whoozer..........I'm just encouraging you to stay the course!!

Unfortunately we missed the party goal.....so we are still chugging along working on week 6 of cleaning my swamp! Updated pics. Still losing FC although going down. Keeping shock between 25-30. no cc's reading.

Attachments

• pool8.jpg
    pool8.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 53
  • pool9.jpg
    pool9.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 53
I am still at FC-30 for shock, off to get more bleach, FC loss overnight is decreasing more by the day, pool is getting clearer, deep end is still hazy. Cleaning out brown junk (supposing dead algae?) from cart every day even if the psi doesn't rise. Hopefully I am at the end of the algae journey, then I will need to tackle metal staining!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.