Opened pool after 3 years of being closed.

I do not believe metals is the reason your water isn't clear. I could be wrong but I would suggest you keep your focus on maintaining FC for now.

Sequestering metals needs to be at low FC so you would really be at cross-purposes.

In another day or so, (depending on how your water looks) we'll suggest an overnight FC loss test and then go from there but I don't believe that reaction in your pool is from metals.

How often are you having to change filters? That should start to ease up.

Changing filters about every 2 hours now. Brushing is yielding less and less, other than scooping out new stuff flying in due to wind. FC is still at or above shock level so I'm waiting for it to come down some on its own. I probably won't have to add chlorine today due to my overcalc but I am still monitoring just in case.

I wasn't implying the cloudiness was from metals but I'm not sure I will have a typical color change due to the metals was my point. It has already changed slightly from this ams pic.

I will keep it up for another day or whatever it takes and we will see if my fc loss holds overnight.

Don't be in a rush for that FC loss test. That should take place when your water is close to perfect. As long as your pool is changing, you are still consuming chlorine anyway. (for the most part)

Anyway, stay focused. (stuck record, aren't I? :lol: :lol: ) Don't think about the metals until you stop burning chlorine at night. Check you FC again tonight and bring it right back up. Do so again in the morning.

I'll bet you go 4-8 hours tomorrow without changing cartridges. Post pics if you have time.

ok hear is a side question that pertains to my swamp. I retested the FC- it was 35 from this am to tonight. I must have messed up my am test. With the taylor tfp test kits is there a limit to accuracy for high fc levels? Just hard to believe I've messed up that bad, and tonight I was still showing a cc-1. So frustrated with myself. I know if I have cc's it is gonna eat chlorine fast so should I just monitor it? Just a little concerned I'm gonna cause damage with my FC that high. Thoughts on my major mess up?

Thoughts on my major mess up?

1. Disregard it.

2. There's nothing you can do about it anyway, so go back up to #1 :mrgreen:

3. It will go down very nicely on it's own and will simply kill the algae and junk a little faster.

4. BBB is all about testing and dosing accurately. If you have doubt, post up your numbers before you do it. Everyone of us has been at the same knowledge level as you. We're happy to assume this is a team effort.

5. It seems like you've overshot twice. Are you pretty confidant about how many gallons are in your pool?

6. The FAS/DPD test will measure 50+. I've measured a pool at 70ppm FC (he knows who he is and he's on here, too :mrgreen: ) and had no reason to doubt that wasn't the case.

7. I should add that the 70ppm guy now has a pristine pool that would make us all envious....he just needed an intro to BBB.

Ok I feel a little better. I FOUND THE OVER DOSE CULPRITS! My 3 children were asked to help yesterday and when 2 bottles were necessary we thought 5 would let us swim this weekend. Hubby knew...mom didn't daddys little secret. I added insult to injury when I tested with small test kit for chlorine and added one more bottle last night. So.....it is what it is. I will use pool calc and not ask for help anymore it is to embarassing :oops: :oops:

I'll repost pics in the am after pump has run overnight. Thankful no more brown monsters and not needing to change filters but every 3 hours now.....phew! Progress feels good no matter how little.

So l checked the FC last night to see where I was at is was at 11pm it was 33. Now at 630am its 31.5. So it is slowly going down. Question is my cc last night was 1.0 and this am it was 1.5 is that possible at this high shock level or is something interfering with that reading? Pics this am.

Attachments

• poolswamp2.jpg
    poolswamp2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 133
  • swamppool1.jpg
    swamppool1.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 133

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your CC would go up b/c the fc is combining with organics and becoming CC. The FC is doing its job and this would be expected behavior. Its a GOOD thing! Just keep at it, you are making progress! And Helpful Dads and Kids are par for the course! Everybody wants to SWIM so if a lil bleach is a good thing, in their eyes ALOTTA bleach is a great thing.

Ok makes sense, just wanted to be sure we were not continuing to grow. I know there is progress just wish it was more noticeable at this point.

Yeah everytime we go outside by the pool all I hear is please...please....please!

And yes I'm still frustrated, Although my chlorine is only now disappearing slowly I still am not seeing any big changes. Pool looks the same as this am FC reading 28 tonight down from 31.5 this am CC-1 down from 1.5 this am. I may just bite the bullet and buy another cart I think 1 of 2 is shot. I am battling rain on and off today which makes it pleasant. I know I have progress but it is extremely slow and I am averaging 4+ hours of work on this thing daily, I'm wiped!

So I didn't post anything yesterday out of complete frustration and yes I am still there but hanging in with persistence. Honestly I have lost track of how long I have been at shock level it has been a while this stuff is STUBBORN! So tested today and still have organics eating chlorine :cry:
FC-18 down from 23 last evening. CC-1.

Pool is making changes and I am cleaning out filters still frequently, they are fairly well gone need to wait for check to get one new cartridge. Hopefully it will help. Anyone know of where their are low prices on carts?

Anyway here are new pics from this am.

You can see obvious staining on last step this is after being brushed. Metal I'm sure.

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 79
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 79
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 79
The ole' "stuck record" is here again!!

Stay focused....don't worry about the stains. Worry about keeping up the FC, exchanging filters, etc.

I see distinct progress in the pool water. Some take longer than others.

Three years of complete neglect is gonna' be a harder task then for someone who ignored the pool for just a few months. Please don't take that as harsh....it's meant to encourage you that you had a complete and total mess and it's gonna' take a while to get it cleaned up.

Just don't stop. Keep the FC up, keep the pump going, brush when you can,.......you know the drill.

At this point, we always advise a great big dose of POP (pool owner patience) It is frequently made more effective with several adult beverages but that's optional.

Yeah I know, but how come I'm always the takes longer kind of person :grrrr: :grrrr:

Oh well slow and steady, seeing progress about every other day, just hope its done for May 22nd as my son has a pool party. If it is we will be taking some serious pics of Thank God the pool is not a swamp :wink:

Still making SLOW progress but progress none the less. New cartridge on order should help out some, wish I could afford a bot because this pool could use it, the only organics left are small bits that will settle to bottom but since I cannot still vacuum I can't get them up, maybe when the new cart arrives it will work?

Here are this ams pics. FC fell last night again. 22 to 15 over the day and night. Need TF refills now! Brought level back up to 22 today, seems to clear a little better at a slightly higher shock level. It amazes me it has taken this long to clear such a small pool, either there are some nasty things in there or my filtration is horrible or both!

As you can see by the pics, color is changing slightly and some parts are more clear and you can almost see the 3rd step now..........POP here I come!

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 60
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 59
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 60
Still some slight progress today, doing the "real" clean on carts with auto dish soap and acid today, to hopefully buy time until new cart shows up.
My chlorine monster is still hungry! FC was 22 yesterday and was 17 this am brought back to 22. cc is still 1. Tomorrow on: These Are The Days Of My Swamp........

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.