opened 4 days ago still hazy

Aug 18, 2018
Dieppe New Brunswick
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I opened to a bit of a mess. Over the winter we had a flood - 9 inches of street water went into the backyard pool area over frozen ground.

Anyway, after 2 days of my hosing off the robot maybe 8 to10 times, I could finally make out the liner colour and the bottom of the deep end.
I did a preliminary shock with Calcium Hypochlorite. The pool is clear blue but slightly hazy. I am circulating at 1/2 speed 24/7. Water is 47°F. I am pretty sure that the stabilizer is low as is the chlorine.

My new TF100 kit is in the mail from a US friend and pool owner. I will liquid chlorinate at night until I can test.
After 4 days....

It rained over the last 3 days. Pool level went up about 3 - 4 inches. I am thinking I should lower the level before I do anything else.

Last edited:
Since you did not have the TF-100, I am going to guess you have not yet started following the SLAM Process process.

Looks like you are close, but sand filters can take a long time to clear up the haze.
When is the last time you Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter
I would do that and then you could try to Add DE to your Sand Filter.

But, you need to still follow the SLAM process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.
Also note that using Cal-Hypo can actually cause the cloudiness in the water.

I did buy a TF - 100 second hand last season but the reagents went bad, so I have another on order. It in Ohio right now and will be shipped soon.
I have not done a deap clean on the filter. It inside a pump house shed, so I would need to figure out a way to contain the spillage.

Last edited:
I am still fighting losing chlorine during the day. I am putting CYA sticks in both in the skimmer and hanging in front of the returns. It is better. Every morning the pool is clear, but starting to get hazy in the evening. I wait till sunset to add chlorine. I am also waiting for the TF 100 reagents to arrive to test the CYA but I am pretty sure that it is low. I found some bags for the CYA sticks. Repurposed nylon mesh from garlic packaging.
better clarity suspending cya .jpghanging CYA Stick in front of return.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Jason pure cyanuric acid. We have a Canadian company "Mursatt" that makes them. They also supply flakes and liquid.
The flakes and sticks are the same price but they take time to dissolve. The liquid is very pricey, but may be worth it if I use up too much chlorine.
I started with about 5 CYA so I am also using pucks. I want to get the stabilizer to at least 30.
Waiting on the TL-100 refill kit. Until then I use 2 Pool Stores which both use Taylor Water testing. Looks like I am losing about 4-5 FC per sunlit day. Night time I only lose 1 FC.
Mursatt also has a Borate treatment [Soft} at 1/3 the price of Bioguard's Optimizer. Mule team Borax and acid will cost me double.

Last edited:
I am no longer losing as much chlorine.

The reagents arrived Friday, Today Sunday I tested everything that I could. The Phosphate test is from a pool store.
I used tests from 3 stores and nobody agreed. They all wanted me to buy and add stuff.
I am still dissolving CYA, so those numbers will still go higher.
One store said I had zero CYA and another 2 and another 5....They all want me to add Calcium too and up my TA....

PH 7.2 [K1000]​
FC 5 + [K1000]​
FC 4.5​
CC .5​
CYA 18 ?​
PH 7.2-7.3​
TA 90​
CH 150​
PH 1100​

The dot in the CYA test vial finally vanished just as the vile totally filled up with the last drop. Extrapolating numbers I figure I am at about 18 CYA. I still have 2 CYA sticks that I won't use. I might pull any undissolved CYA in tomorrow because I know the numbers will keep rising, and I don't want to overshoot my target.

One thing I am not real happy with is the PH test. I do see colour well. I am trained as a colour scientist specializing in accurately copying art, so I wish there were matching colour samples for 7.3 / 7.4 / 7.6 / 7.7
To my way of thinking 7.2 / 7.5 / 7.8 is just not all that accurate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Honestly, as long as pH is between 7.2 and 7.8, no worries about what it is.

Do not raise your TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.