open and clean DE grids after algae, do I have to?

Luvsummerict

Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2020
Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
Realized this weekend we had an algae bloom and our salt cell was dead. We have a DE filter with new grids. All surfaces of the pool and skimmer were slimy, I had to use a dish brush to get it off the side of the skimmer. I've shocked and killed the algae, but the filter pressure goes from 20-35psi within a few hours. Pool is clear now. I really don't want to take apart the DE filter, I'm scared I won't be able to get it back together. Is there another way to clear the muck out of it? The suction out of the skimmer is super low, the heater and chlorinator are both saying lo/no flow too.

Solely based on my personal experience with my Hayward ProGrid DE filter, No better way than to take it apart and Clean it. Before TFPC, I had many take apart-clean-put back together cycles. How old is your equipment? Has it never been cleaned before? I believe the experts will guide you if you are uncomfortable "doing the deed". This may help. :thumleft:

Solely based on my personal experience with my Hayward ProGrid DE filter, No better way than to take it apart and Clean it. Before TFPC, I had many take apart-clean-put back together cycles. How old is your equipment? Has it never been cleaned before? I believe the experts will guide you if you are uncomfortable "doing the deed". This may help. :thumleft:
the filter itself is at least 10 years old, but my pool guy replaced the grids in May when they opened the pool . I haven't cleaned it since then, I'm scared of getting in over my head!

It’s really not as bad as you think. If you’re remotely handy it won’t be a big problem for you. When you remove the top of the canister, the filter grids will pull out as a unit and you can breakdown the grid assembly more from there. In the diagram parts 11,7,14,16 will lift out as a unit. It’s a very similar setup to the Progrid filter Getitrite and I use. I’ve added links for the manual and parts diagram for you to look at and digest.

57C89C77-3090-481A-AE8A-9C1CA4EB22F8.jpeg

You can pull the whole grid assembly out as a unit. With a good spray nozzle you can remove most of the DE and debris without dismantling it. Then, in a large PLASTIC trash can, soak the whole assembly in a good filter-cleaning product overnight. The next day remove it from the can, hose it off well and replace in the tank. Add the required DE to the tank as well, or through the skimmer. You will likely get a little foam back into the pool, but nothing to worry about. Cleaned without disassembly.

You can pull the whole grid assembly out as a unit. With a good spray nozzle you can remove most of the DE and debris without dismantling it. Then, in a large PLASTIC trash can, soak the whole assembly in a good filter-cleaning product overnight. The next day remove it from the can, hose it off well and replace in the tank. Add the required DE to the tank as well, or through the skimmer. You will likely get a little foam back into the pool, but nothing to worry about. Cleaned without disassembly.
Thank you! any filter cleaner you recommend? I helped a friend do this years ago and getting the grids back together was a nightmare, so I might see if I can skip that step.

I’ve had my Hayward DE filter for 15 years and have only had to disassemble it once when some grids broke during a freeze. It’s actually fairly easy to get back together if you watch the right YouTube videos, but for just a cleaning, it’s not absolutely necessary. I have a nozzle sprayer that I can get down in between the grids that cleans them up really well. I usually get soaked doing it, but it’s a small price to pay. Every now and then I use a spray-on degreaser that I get at Leslie’s, but it’s really not necessary for every cleaning. That’s easier for me than finding a drum large enough to soak my filter in.

Reactions: Luvsummerict
ok thank you! Could this be the cause of low flow and low suction in my skimmer? Skimmer and pump baskets are clear, no visible leaks anywhere. I guess if it's not this, something is wrong with my lines...

ok thank you! Could this be the cause of low flow and low suction in my skimmer? Skimmer and pump baskets are clear, no visible leaks anywhere. I guess if it's not this, something is wrong with my lines...
It’s very likely you’re filter picked up dead algae from your bloom increasing your pressure and reducing flow. As well, over time backwashing won’t fully flush out all the DE in the filter and needs to be fully removed. This is why it’s commonly recommended to add back 80% of the clean pre-pre coat amount of DE to the filter after a backwash because some still remains.

It’s very likely you’re filter picked up dead algae from your bloom increasing your pressure and reducing flow. As well, over time backwashing won’t fully flush out all the DE in the filter and needs to be fully removed. This is why it’s commonly recommended to add back 80% of the clean pre-pre coat amount of DE to the filter after a backwash because some still remains.
Thanks! I'm learning how to use the DE filter, we had sand at our old house. I didn't add any DE back after backwashing the first 4 or 5 times. I put some in yesterday, Of course our cover snapped a rope this weekend too so I'm reluctant to take the filter out of operation for a day or two to clean it until that gets fixed. we have a lot of trees over the pool and its super hot right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I'm learning how to use the DE filter, we had sand at our old house. I didn't add any DE back after backwashing the first 4 or 5 times. I put some in yesterday, Of course our cover snapped a rope this weekend too so I'm reluctant to take the filter out of operation for a day or two to clean it until that gets fixed. we have a lot of trees over the pool and its super hot right now.
An added benefit of a full clean and fresh charge will allow you to get a very accurate read on what your clean pressure baseline is. Of course this may be moot if you noted the clean pressure when your pool mechanic replaced the grids in May.

If you didn't add DE after backwashing a few times you definitely need a good soak in a filter cleaning solution. Not only does the DE trap dirt/debris it protects the grid fabric. You likely have debris embedded in the grids that needs to be removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.