Opaque Pool (milky white). High CYA. Help!!!

Did you do the dilute test for the CYA? If not, use 1:1 pool water and fresh water. Mix that up and use that for the pool water sample and do the CYA Test again. Double the result.

Start planning where you will send at least 8000 gallons of water or so.

You need about a 75% drain and refill.

You need to see if you can safely drain the pool based on your local water table and soil conditions. Also if your plaster will be impacted by direct sunlight.
Read Draining - Further Reading

You need about a 75% drain and refill.

You need to see if you can safely drain the pool based on your local water table and soil conditions. Also if your plaster will be impacted by direct sunlight.
Read Draining - Further Reading
@mknauss I have pebbletec. We drained last year for a remodel so we're good. Can I not do a 75% exchange without exposing my plaster?

You can exchange. I would exchange closer to 90-100% of volume as an exchange is not a perfect displacement.

Just reading this thread for the first time..... WHY oh WHY do pool stores go for the Alkalinity first when algae is the usual problem??!?! I wish I could understand that.

By the way- to raise Alkalinity we use basic Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. Bought in a big bag for a fraction of pool store price. Another reason to NOT go to a pool store.

Maddie :flower:

Just reading this thread for the first time..... WHY oh WHY do pool stores go for the Alkalinity first when algae is the usual problem??!?! I wish I could understand that.

By the way- to raise Alkalinity we use basic Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. Bought in a big bag for a fraction of pool store price. Another reason to NOT go to a pool store.

Maddie :flower:
Yeah...I'm done with the pool store unless there's something specific I know I need

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you decide to end, circulate well with the pool pump, brush, and then run a suite of tests.

@mknauss I had some clarifier laying around so I put some in yesterday and the particles settled to the bottom. When I brushed the pool it got stirred up again and is cloudy. Should I try clarifier again? Also, with my CC at 1.5 could the cloudiness be related to that?

Clarifier should never be used until you are absolutely sure you have no active algae.
CC is from organics being consumed by chlorine or some types of chemicals being added.

Are you back in the SLAM Process?

Correct. Your posted data above has a CYA of 40 (round up), and a pH of 7.8 that should be lowered to 7.2. Then raise FC to 16 ppm and maintain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.