Jun 18, 2020
Phoenixville PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
HI all,

So We have FINALLY set up and filled out 32 x 16 intex pool. We go to put the sand in the filter and open the box and what should have been 2 50lb bags ended up being 1 50lb bag. I need approx 70 lbs to fill the filter. Can we backwash what we have and use it until the replacement bag comes on thursday OR do I have to wait? Thanks so much.

Kate

I would not wait to get the system running. The longer it goes without water movement the higher the chances of growing something you don't want. I am not an expert on the subject matter of filters, but I don't think it would hurt the system being 20lbs short of sand. The only problem I could see is if you do a backwash while low on sand, the turbulence inside the filter during the backwash might kick out more sand than normal, but I don't see running it on normal filter mode as being a problem. Hopefully one of the more experienced guys will chime in.

You can also set the valve to "recirculate". This pumps water in the pool without sending it through the sand. That way you get circulation for adding chemicals and don't have to worry about running with too little sand.

Are u replacing previous sand ? If so - sand can be deep cleaned it doesn’t usually go bad unless u put alot of flocculant in it or something of that nature.
Here’s the how to -

awesome! Thank you guys!!!!
Are u replacing previous sand ? If so - sand can be deep cleaned it doesn’t usually go bad unless u put alot of flocculant in it or something of that nature.
Here’s the how to -
NO this is a new pool but thank you for the info.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.