One more pump won't prime thread....

airbur

Gold Supporter
Jul 4, 2017
Colorado
Howdy All,

Went to open above ground pool this week and my hayward pump won't prime. System is setup as in my signature. It's worked in this configuration for 2 years.

What I've done:

- Checked all hard pipe connections and replaced a few to make sure there are no leaks.
- Ran water in the pump basket for a few minutes.
- Ran water down the intake line...no problems.
- Pulled all line, filter, pump o-rings, cleaned, lubed, and reconnected.
- Installed a new seal kit and impeller for the Hayward 1HP Superpump. When I disassembled it there were a few that looked suspicious so replaced everything. Pump is only 2 years old.
- Checked all connections again using soapy water...no rogue suction anywhere I can find.
- All baskets and filters are clear.
- I can see the pump pulling the water from the basket but that's it, nothing from the intake line.

Anything I've missed?

Thanks.

That is an inground pump so it is self priming. Did you check the drain plugs on the pump? Be sure they are well seated and the oring is lubed. Also if you have a skimmer be sure the weir door is opening.

That is an inground pump so it is self priming. Did you check the drain plugs on the pump? Be sure they are well seated and the oring is lubed. Also if you have a skimmer be sure the weir door is opening.

Yep...it self primes and no issues last 2 years.

Both intakes (skimmer and one on the other side) are clear and full of water.

I checked the drain plugs for tightness but those are the only 2 seals I didn't pull. Will do that next. Thanks.

Because of the incline, a couple other things come to mind assuming everything on the suction side is sealed, lubed, and tight:
1 - Without a check valve, the suction line simply needs more time to fill and remain primed ... or ..
2 - There is a slight air leak around the filter that may be equalizing pressure and allowing water to flow out of the suction line back to the pool. Maybe check to rule-out any air leaks at the MPV and/or air gauge relief valve.

Problem solved! The 3 things I didn't think it would be....it was. I checked the pump drain plugs, cleaned and reseated them. Then I pulled the pressure gauge from the filter, cleaned and wrapped with new thread tape. System primed and is pumping! Thanks so much guys!

Reactions: mknauss
Now for my public service announcement ----

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Become a TFP Supporter!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.