On-Ground Pool (Ontario)

MisterC

Feb 23, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hi Everyone,
Were in the market for our first pool. We live in Canada so it will only be used around 5 months of the year.

Our yard is not the most level so I think an in ground pool won't be the best choice. We have been looking at on-ground pools where part of it is in the ground. We would build a deck around it.

Wondering if these are good pools? Trying to find a compromise between cost/landscape/etc.

Thanks so much

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be north of you :LOL: and I also have a sloped yard with on-ground or above ground pool. I'd take a picture for you, but with all the snow, you wouldn't see much.

I know of people in Minnesota with similar sloped yards who decided to add a properly engineered retaining wall and then put in an in-ground pool. It's really up to you and your budget as to what you'd like to do.

I grew up around an IG and I would never put one in at my current home, regardless of the slope. In a sourthern state with 8 or more months of swim time and no requirement for closing, I'd have to think long and hard as to which way to go.

Our yard is not the most level so I think an in ground pool won't be the best choice.
When we bought my house the lady said that she always wanted a pool but there was only one spot level enough per all the PBs she contacted over the years. We didnt give it any thought until we wanted a pool and the 20x40 hole made a big enough mountain to level at least 20 ft in all directions. It ranges from a few inches by the house to over 2 ft in the rear of the yard. I completely abandoned any of the sprinklers in the deep parts and started new. Now, if your yard is a 60 degree ravine slope.... than maybe not. But it may be entirely possible.

That being said, a completely decked ABG feels like an IG pool when you hop in, there just usually isnt a deep end. We set out to do the decked/fenced ABG and it put us into the general price range of a small IG so thats how we ended up IG once the PB laughed at not being level enough.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.