OMG -- Help!

This morning, the CYA is well over 100, so we started a partial drain using the pump with the bottom drains and the pressure cleaner hose discharging to gutter drains. Decided to just get it over with, so I here I sit babysitting things. Good times! Its been about an hour and the water level is down 9 inches, so about 2 more hours to go.

Many thanks for your reassurances yesterday. :)

For a little extra insurance, let the hubby "catch" you browsing eHarmony or match.com.

That should scare him straight.

Best to use a submersible pump that you rent from HD or Lowes. Something on the order of 3000 gallons per hour or so. Don't rely on the pool pump to drain as it loses head too quickly and will take forever.

You can drain at the deep end and fill at the shallow end so that the water volume doesn't change too drastically. Not the most optimal way to exchange water but it'll do.

On those submersible pumps, I would buy one. They are about $99 bucks and they come w a long 110 plug and you can screw a hose on to them. I would also buy a 20-30ft 12AWG 110extension cord. Connect the pump cord and extension cord, then wrap it real well w electrical tape, then gorilla tape it [NOTE, not for water proof, but water resistant]. If you ever need to pump out pool water in the rain or a flood, set the plugged part up on a cinder block, then drop the pump into the pool or on decking if you have a flood, then screw on a 50ft water hose and point down stream....plug her in and that pump will go to town...

we had 16" of rain yesterday and our pool has some wash-in, but it would have been 100x's worse if I did not have that s-pump going...once the rain stopped to only 1-2 inches per hour vs 3-5 inches per hr, I turned off the pump. As stated, they drop to the bottom and can suck-up those CYA granules and other finer debris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So wait, if your CYA was 60ish and he added granules of CYA, Shouldn't it take at least a few days to register on a test? But you say you're getting a CYA of over 100 just in a day?

I think the standard advice to wait a week to retest CYA is allow time for granules caught in the filters to dissolve. We washed those out pretty quickly, but the damage was already done. I have advantage of knowing what the CYA was before he came, and how much he added. And CYA was over 100 (maybe 120-ish?) yesterday afternoon and no worse this morning. I just hope I drained enough water or this is going to be a lather-rinse-repeat this weekend.

Kris we have been doing some "real life experiments" and have found that as soon as the powder is dissolved and mixed in good (30 mins or so of pump run) it shows up on the tests! The trick is it HAS to dissolved!

I was the one that "got" to add mine by squeezing it all in by hand - my poor hands but someone had to do it LOL

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.