Olympic Pool

I'm with Matt. I have no reason to believe their latest, although I believe their tarot reader came up with a marginally more plausible explanation than lack of wind or low alkalinity. If it's good enough for the media, it does the job.

I'm willing to bet they have chosen their scapegoat and hung him/her out to dry. It's probably a low-level manager who followed procedures they were given. No one will back him/her up because they've been told that everyone will save face except the victim.

All the media has to do is hear something believable from two credible sources and they can call it fact, and move on before the audience gets bored. Divers don't seem to mind landing on St. Patrick's Day, move on... next news cycle. Anyone mugged?? You promised me a picture of something nasty floating in the bay! Who's on drugs?? Get me a story!!!

My neighbor works for Olympic Broadcasting Services and has been in Rio for little over a year. She's in charge of all Fields of Play (venues) and camera sets. She may be a bit off on the chemistry/filtration details but she helps take care of my pool when I go on vaca so knows a little. This is her behind the scenes (literally) story:

1.jpg
2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-08-15 15.45.41.jpg
    Screenshot 2016-08-15 15.45.41.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 221
  • Screenshot 2016-08-15 15.49.23.jpg
    Screenshot 2016-08-15 15.49.23.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 215

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, that certainly corroborates other reports. The problem with adding peroxide is that it can interfere with chlorine tests and look exactly like FC when you try to measure water with mixed oxidizers in it. So the chlorine got neutralized by the peroxide and the residual peroxide probably created a false-positive reading for FC. That gave the algae all the time it needed to replicate. Peroxide is a weak disinfectant compared to chlorine even though it is a strong oxidizer. It's only when peroxide concentrations are as high as 50-100ppm that you get pathogen kill rates even remotely close to a few ppm's worth of chlorine.

So basically your friend is telling us that we can blame it all on the press and its insistence on clear water ;) :poke:

I'm questioning the statement after the addition of the H2O2 "When the water was tested, the chlorine was still present in the correct amount for the water volume - so it took some days to figure this out." Could this be a true statement from a chemistry perspective? Is the chlorine still present, just not able to do anything? Or is it completely removed by the H2O2? I don't know the reaction b/w hydrogen peroxide and chlorine in water.

ETA - looks like my question was answered by JoyfulNoise before I finished typing...

They finally seem to have the probably fixed as the diving pool was back to clear yesterday, but it took almost a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.