Moses Lake, Washington
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have an Intex 12 x 24, 8400gal AGP and I want to hard plumb a wide mouth Hayward skimmer but I have questions about the other 2 suction intakes. I have read about only needing the skimmer. Is there any benefit to plumbing the 2 suction intakes and the skimmer? I would plumb them with 1.5" PVC. I have also seen the skimmer and one suction intake plumbed and the other blocked off. Is having 3 sources of water into the pump too much? Also, where to place the Hayward skimmer? I know circular pools circulate well but rectangular can have some issues.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you, yes, suction OUT of the pool into the pump. I have a fairly good grasp of installing the Hayward wide mouth skimmer. There are two standard lines to the pump, should I plumb them as well each with an individual ball valve and have all 3 outlets meet together to go into the pump?

There are two standard lines to the pump, should I plumb them as well each with an individual ball valve and have all 3 outlets meet together to go into the pump?

Like I said above, to get the skimming benefits of the skimmer you have to have the water flow through the skimmer. Otherwise why are you bothering to do it?

I don't think you understand my question. Yes, I understand the purpose of the skimmer, yes, as I said in my original question, the standard suction lines OUT of the pool into the filter. Yes, I know there has to be water flow through the skimmer for it to work.

You must not know the original configuration of these intex above ground pools. They have 2 standard outlets to the pump and one can be attached to their very weak skimmer that hangs over the railing and clips to it. The skimmer is not very effective.

Is there any benefit to keeping those standard 2 lines plumbed as well as the skimmer? I have read, that is mandated to have two suction lines out of the pool for safety. Does it give better filtration or better circulation pressure back into the pool, or is too much volume going into the pump in the first place? Or is it simply personal preference and won't make any true difference.

Is there any benefit to keeping those standard 2 lines plumbed as well as the skimmer?

No.

I have read, that is mandated to have two suction lines out of the pool for safety.

One skimmer is not an entrapment hazard. Many pools have only one.

Open suction holes are an entrapment hazard and require two inlets.

Does it give better filtration or better circulation pressure back into the pool, or is too much volume going into the pump in the first place?

There is no such thing as "too much volume" into the pump. The pump will take in whatever flow it can handle across whatever suction sources it has.

Or is it simply personal preference and won't make any true difference.

I told you earlier what difference it makes.

Last edited:
Most people at least eliminate one by patching/capping it - some choose to make the other a return jet which provides much more benefit for circulation & doesn’t carry the risk of entrapment
If u don’t want to patch you can just cap them

Thank you Allen, I appreciate your answers.

I notice that the hayward skimmers don't/can't be mounted perfectly level due to the bowing in the vinyl in the rectangular Intex pools (see my picture). Does this affect it's use? Should I worry about it?

I notice that the hayward skimmers don't/can't be mounted perfectly level due to the bowing in the vinyl in the rectangular Intex pools (see my picture). Does this affect it's use? Should I worry about it?

Nothing in an AGP is going to be perfectly level.

No worries- just note you’re “ideal” water level that skims well & doesn’t let the pump suck air/create a vortex with the weir in place. Usually its dead middle but yours may prefer a little higher because of the slight angle.

Reactions: Jonacani

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No worries- just note you’re “ideal” water level that skims well & doesn’t let the pump suck air/create a vortex with the weir in place. Usually its dead middle but yours may prefer a little higher because of the slight angle.
Thank you, I noticed it can be level horizontally but not vertically level was hoping that would not be an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.