Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi All,

My pool was installed in 2014 so the main pump is now 10 years old and it gave up the ghost when it was energized during reopening today. I have two options from my pool company to consider and thought, hey, TFP would be a good place to bounce this off of. I have the Pentair IntelliTouch automation panel and use ScreenLogic on an Ipad to control it.

Old Pump Repair: Whisperflo WFDS-30 2.5 HP, 2 speed
New Pump Option: Intelliflo3 VSF

My choices are to replace the motor unit and impeller only on the Whisperflo for $1,695 (all in, incl tax) or junk it and plumb in a new Intelliflo3 VSF for $2,651 (all in, incl tax). Either way I'm spending money since the old one gave up the ghost but.....is the $950 additional cost upgrade to the VS pump from the old 2 speed worth it in the end due to the savings that could be shown on the electric bill over time?

Factoring in that the old pump is being rebuilt with a new motor (and not fully replaced) I am leaning towards installing the new Intelliflo3 VSF. Additionally, usage estimates project to save me $600 to $800 per pool season based on numbers off Pentair's website applied to my own uages figures from 4/23 to 10/23 so in 1.5 to 2 seasons the "upgrade" cost is essentially paid for. Even if these are overstated and it's $300 then it takes about three years to recoup the $950 added cost (via electric bill reductions).

Thoughts? Comments? Cautions? Horror stories? Great stories?

What say you???? Looking forward to the replies.

Last edited:
Get the IntelliFlo.

You would have to pry my VSP (and SWG) from my cold, dead hands.

VSP’s use about as much electricity as a lightbulb when running at their lowest speeds which you can do 24/7 of you want. That means your skimmer will always be cleaning and your water will always be moving for a fraction of the cost. Also, you can dial in the absolute lowest speed needed to run your SWG so you can generate chlorine for the least possible cost. It’s truly amazing how efficient and low cost VSPs are to run.

Get the IntelliFlo.

You would have to pry my VSP (and SWG) from my cold, dead hands.

VSP’s use about as much electricity as a lightbulb when running at their lowest speeds which you can do 24/7 of you want. That means your skimmer will always be cleaning and your water will always be moving for a fraction of the cost. Also, you can dial in the absolute lowest speed needed to run your SWG so you can generate chlorine for the least possible cost. It’s truly amazing how efficient and low cost VSPs are to run.
Thank you for that, it makes me feel a lot better about the unknown. I'll monitor this thread for more replies as wel.

Definitely get the VSP.
Stick with Pentair and the IntelliFlow as it will integrate well with your automation.

I've had VSP pumps for the last 13+ years. Best thing I ever upgraded to on my pool.
My SWG is the second best...

I run my pump 24/7 for less than $20/month.

The Intelliflo3 without relay board or touchscreen is available for $1600 from Polytec Pools. So you are paying $1000 for install.

FYI.

Reactions: PoolingInKC
One other thing to consider that was valuable to me is the noise level when running the VSP on lower speeds. The old single speed was so loud you had to walk away from the pool pad area to talk to people and the new pump is just so quiet it makes being in the backyard that much more enjoyable.

One other thing to consider that was valuable to me is the noise level when running the VSP on lower speeds. The old single speed was so loud you had to walk away from the pool pad area to talk to people and the new pump is just so quiet it makes being in the backyard that much more enjoyable.
Excellent info!! Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any update for those who answered my questions on the IntellitFlo3......I can hardly hear the dang thing it's SO quiet. THANK YOU for all the input.

As a follow up, I have the ScreenLogic app on my PC and Phone controlling the IntelliTouch automation panel. All the literature with the new pump says to use Pentair Home.

(1) Is Pentair Home replacing ScreenLogic or can they be run in tandem?
(2) Is there any way to incorporate SceenLogic with/into Pentair Home?

Can anyone chime in on the questions from yesterday about ScreenLogic and Pentair Home co-existing?

In all honestly, it looks like I could just keep SceenLogic standalone and not even bother with Pentair Home but, if they are going to discontinue ScreenLogic (and support of same), then that's another story.......

Pentair Home does not replace the Screenlogic app. They are two different systems.
When your IntelliFlo3 is connected to your automation, the on board wifi control is disabled.

Reactions: PoolingInKC