Old Pool, New Owner, Florida Heat, Who's on First?

SwimInPooL

May 10, 2021
Central Florida
Hello TFP! It's a pleasure to join the crew. I was surfing for pool insight and came across some great TFP post conversations and thought I'd join.

Here's my layout for reference:
  • 15K gallons
  • 13'6" x 32'4"
  • Depth 3' to 6'
  • Pebbletek
  • 1.5 hp pump
  • 6 solar (Florida) heat panels
  • Chlorinator (SWG?) is busted
  • Spillover from 4x4 spa
  • 6 Spa Return jets
  • 2 Spa Drains
  • 3 Pool Return jets
  • 2 Pool Drains
  • Vacuum connector
My last read was from the 3' side of the pool with only 1 jet and no drain:
5, 7.2, 70 with the Aquacheck (I know, I know) strip

My first goal is to get the chemicals I need to have on hand. The second is to get the right strips. The third is to tweak my equipment to have accurate suction and return to keep the optimal flow.

Any guidance or posts I should tackle first?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP :)

The very first recommendation is a Great test kit, the Taylor K2006C or the TF100/TF pro in my sig below.. :)

What SGW do you have now?

Get a test kit ordered: Taylor K-2006C or the TF-100 ( tftestkits.net)
-Rely on your tests, not the automated from pool store (calibration issues)

Start reading:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels
Recommended Levels

Pool school has lots of useful topics, but start with the above for the basics and get an idea of the TFP philosophy. Definitely recommend getting the salt water generator working (or replaced as the case may be) and using that as the main means of chlorination. Don't hesitate to ask questions; the TFP experts are super helpful.

Chlorinator (SWG?) is busted
Post a pic if you're not sure. You've come to the right place for help. Welcome! :wave:

Reactions: SwimInPooL
Welcome to TFP :)

The very first recommendation is a Great test kit, the Taylor K2006C or the TF100/TF pro in my sig below.. :)

What SGW do you have now?
Hello @cowboycasey, I am planning on ordering the K2006C, but I noticed amazon has it for much cheaper. Any difference in the product vs. tftestkits?

My SWG is a Chloromatic 3, I believe the model number is CM301 - CEL050. Since I've owned the pool I have never seen it on, and the pool guy told me it wasn't working.

Hello @amwillg, thanks for the recommendations, I will start with those pages first and see what questions I have. Is it best to post questions on this thread or somewhere else?

Hello @Texas Splash, my SWG is a Chloromatic 3, I believe the model number is CM301 - CEL050IMG_0470.JPGIMG_0469.JPG

While I wait for my testkit, my chlorine was almost at zero, so I put in 2.5 Gallons of Sodium Hypochlorite (10.5%) that I got at a local pool store. My pH is at 7 and my TA is around 80 (based off AquaCheck strips). Anything I need to add?

Thanks for the feedback!

I am planning on ordering the K2006C, but I noticed amazon has it for much cheaper. Any difference in the product vs. tftestkits?
I suspect you are seeing a K2006 on Amazon. You then have to add R0870, R0871, and R0013 reagent refills as what that kit has is very small. Will add over $30 in refills.

I suspect you are seeing a K2006 on Amazon. You then have to add R0870, R0871, and R0013 reagent refills as what that kit has is very small. Will add over $30 in refills.
Thanks, @mknauss. I'm using this link here to the C version on Amazon. I don't see the smart stir on their kit (Amazon.com : Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Garden & Outdoor). So it's either that one or the TF-Pro with Smart Stir, but do I need all the other options (Borates Test Strip, Taylor Salt test Strips, XL Option, pH meter)?

I don't know what I don't know and want to be sure I'm getting everything I need (as a newbie, of course).

You only need the TFProSalt that has the Speedstir and salt test kit (you are going to keep the pool a saltwater pool, correct?). Or, if you want the old school TF100 box, get the TF100 with Speedstir and Taylor K1766. To the Amazon kit you show, you need to add a Speedstir and Salt kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, what should I have on hand:

Muriatic Acid (KemTek): Hydrogen Chloride (31.45%)
Sodium Bisulfate (93.2%)
Sodium Carbonate (100%)
Calcium Hardiness Increaser
Cyanuric Acid (100%)
Clorox Pool Shock (Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione[58.2%]
Yellow Gone
Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate (100%)
Liquid Chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite 10.5%)
Borax
Baking Soda
other?

You only need the TFProSalt that has the Speedstir and salt test kit (you are going to keep the pool a saltwater pool, correct?). Or, if you want the old school TF100 box, get the TF100 with Speedstir and Taylor K1766. To the Amazon kit you show, you need to add a Speedstir and Salt kit.
I'm not sure about keeping it salt, is that the better option? Also, is it expensive to repair/replace the SWG? If it is, I may have to steer away from it until I can save up enough to repair it.

In Florida, muriatic acid, stabilizer, and a gallon or two of liquid chlorine. More chlorine if not using SWCG for awhile.

I'm not sure about keeping it salt, is that the better option?
A SWCG creates your chlorine for you. If you use liquid chlorine, it is a DAILY addition. No leaving for more than a few days without someone adding chlorine. Overall, the cost of SWCG equates to your cost for liquid chlorine. You just pay it upfront. Unless you have some form of automation, you would just replace that entire unit with a Circupool or other standalone SWCG system.

Reactions: SwimInPooL
Thank you for the insight @Texas Splash, @mknauss, I have my TF-Pro with Smart Stir ordered an in route!

I will keep the Circupool in mind for the near future. Since I put in the 2.5 gallons of Sodium Hypochlorite (10.5%), my strip is showing my FC level at ~5, ph @~7, and TA ~80. The week looks warm, with a low chance of rain. I'm not sure if I need to add anything, but thinking my chlorine level is a little low and my pH is starting to dwindle.

Any recommendations?

You need to add chlorine daily. I would suggest you add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine every day until you get your test kit. Then get some proper water chemistry test results and go from there.

@mknauss, I have a fundamental question; How do I calculate ppm? My pool is ~15000 gallons.

I thought if 5 ppm of liquid chlorine is needed, I need to find out how many mg/L per 1ppm would equate to my 15000 gallons. So, 15,0000*3.8 (number of liters in one gallon) = 57,000 liters. Not sure where I go from there or if I'm lost altogether.

Use PoolMath. Effects of Adding Chemicals.

For instance, 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine adds 10 ppm FC to 10000 gallons of water.

Hello again, I received my Test Kit today and put it straight to work. I'll first say that I didn't use the Smart Stir as often as I should have. I was awaiting the "Stir" or "Manual Stir" as a prompt for CH and TA.

PH = 7.8
FC = 3
CC = 0
TC = 3
CH = 775*
TA = 210
CYA = 30 (middle of 30 and 40)

*I may have over-calculated this. I did not use the SmartStir and noticed it was clumped up at the bottom.

Should I re-do my tests? @mknauss, @Texas Splash, @amwillg, @cowboycasey

Last edited: