Old Member, New House and Pool

Here is the latest and greatest, he came back out today and cleaned all the gunk out, took the light out for me but there are issues there (cuz why not!) but it looks so much better he even powerwashed it for me as best as he could then He called me over and said, "they never took care of this pool once". Essentially the water that was in it was so bad he said it was like a constant acid wash so the pebbles are coming loose and rebar rust staining and left a HUGE ring of calcium scale around the entire pool on the tile... but at least it will be MY water now and never in that condition again

pics of after cleaning and filling it is so much better ??F9813F4D-8E73-4AFD-AA7C-984FD8CC6CCD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, just a bit of a change. ;) Interesting though about the condition of the plaster. When we think of pebbles coming lose, or plaster eroding, we think of the water as "aggressive", in other words the pH, CH, and or TA were allowed to be very low for a long time. In contrast, you noted the calcium ring, which is certainly expected in AZ, but the opposite of the other scenario. Regardless, it does sound like the previous owners didn't know how to care of the pool, but you will remedy that ASAP. Looks much better already. :goodjob:

Yeah, just a bit of a change. ;) Interesting though about the condition of the plaster. When we think of pebbles coming lose, or plaster eroding, we think of the water as "aggressive", in other words the pH, CH, and or TA were allowed to be very low for a long time. In contrast, you noted the calcium ring, which is certainly expected in AZ, but the opposite of the other scenario. Regardless, it does sound like the previous owners didn't know how to care of the pool, but you will remedy that ASAP. Looks much better already. :goodjob:

I don't think it was a lack of know how from them, I think they didn't care about the pool at all or used it.. based on our dealings during the sale they were too busy to be bothered with silly things like signatures All I can do at this point is be happy we came along to rescue this house and pool before it was completely destroyed.. the pool will be my baby now to nurture and love ?? the PH and TA were low in the toxic water snd I assume the CH was out of control like CYA in it so now the lovely white ring all around the pool lol funny as it is filling up, I think it will be a pretty water color when all done

That DOES look lots better!!! WELL done guy!

We can help you get rid of the ring on the tile once everything is settled out.

Just this once I am thinking it might be helpful for you to take some of the tap water to a pool store to see what THEY say the CH is.

Kim:kim:

That DOES look lots better!!! WELL done guy!

We can help you get rid of the ring on the tile once everything is settled out.

Just this once I am thinking it might be helpful for you to take some of the tap water to a pool store to see what THEY say the CH is.

Kim:kim:

I would have but my refills get here tomorrow so might as just wait it out as I think its the regents

Reactions: kimkats
Some towns in the Phoenix metroplex condition their municipal water. I think Surprise, AZ water utility supplies water with a TH (total hardness, magnesium + calcium) of less than 100ppm. You can always get a water quality report from the Gilbert municipal website. Down here in Tucson our water is like cement - 200ppm CH on a good day and 120ppm TA. Anyone who builds a house around here adds a plumbing loop in their garage for a whole-house water softener. If your house has a service loop for that, then I recommend getting a softener installed and figuring out if you can replumb the autofill line to the softener. You’ll do yourself a big favor in the long run.

There’s no end of pool tile cleaning services where you are. Arizona Bead Blasting is a good company for that. They used to come down here to Tucson but stopped as it was too much travel. Typically you’re looking at $3-$5 per linear foot of tile to clean.

I'm kinda curious as to what the neighbors are going to say about the last homeowners? How could anyone be so negligent to a home feature that's so important there in AZ?!? There could be some real interesting stories to tell there.

Welcome back Christina. On a positive note the decking and coping look to be in good condition! :)

Maddie :flower:

I'm kinda curious as to what the neighbors are going to say about the last homeowners? How could anyone be so negligent to a home feature that's so important there in AZ?!? There could be some real interesting stories to tell there.

Welcome back Christina. On a positive note the decking and coping look to be in good condition! :)

Maddie :flower:
This is true it is good just needs a good sweeping and cleaning easy enough lol

For those following the saga lol got the pool filled back up and fired up the pump/filter hoping to let it run so I could retest water and get chems in before my appt.. it was a good plan and I did play with the valves to see what went where and gained a little bit more knowledge.. BUT I started noticing clouding coming from returns and sure enough DE was shooting into the pool which tells me that the grids are probably shot (of course lol and not surprising given the state of the water before).. so I DID get a CH test, TA and PH done on the fill before I shut it down:

PH: ~ 8.0 (I say 8 because it wasnt a 8.2 color or 7.8 color)
TA: 120
CH: 220 yay! I got my refills today so it worked fine

here is what I learned.. Ya'll be proud now
Lol

82D8443C-8327-40EE-BBCD-D5E4E7E786C6.jpeg
this way is skimmer only!

CF723584-2CEF-471E-BDBC-9ED2B7E81192.jpeg
this position makes pressure raise and makes the returns by the seat look like spa jets ?‍♀️

BEB8F9AE-FD94-4342-842A-7AC57EA8B2EB.jpeg
All in all a busy day, I have ordered a new set of grids and a new backwash hose cuz the one they left is trash The pool still looks much better & is actually a pretty aqua color

So we presume the filter will be off till the grids appear at your door step. So for starters get some liquid chlorine into that water asap to keep it algae free and mix it up via the pool brush very well to stay protected. While you're at it pick up some new DE because you'll want to clean out what you have there when installing the the new grids.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So we presume the filter will be off till the grids appear at your door step. So for starters get some liquid chlorine into that water asap to keep it algae free and mix it up via the pool brush very well to stay protected. While you're at it pick up some new DE because you'll want to clean out what you have there when installing the the new grids.

I will run the filter periodically until grids get here, I already have a new box of DE as that was the first thing I got after we got keys since I knew it was a DE filter and I am versed in them well enough lol

I will run the filter periodically until grids get here, I already have a new box of DE as that was the first thing I got after we got keys since I knew it was a DE filter and I am versed in them well enough lol
You can open the filter housing, remove all the DE along with the old grids, close it back up and run it just to circulate the water and keep the FC where it belongs.

You can open the filter housing, remove all the DE along with the old grids, close it back up and run it just to circulate the water and keep the FC where it belongs.

I will have to get my son to do that, my physical limitations aren't going to have me lifting that lol

Looking sweet clambert !! It sounds like your new neighbors are going to appreciate y'all alot after the last people. And all you have to do is not be creepy weirdos who are much better than everyone else. Should be a piece of cake.

Also remember that new water has no CYA. I know CYA is a dirty 3-letter word for some, but with new water, and your own home testing, you are in charge and know when to increase it (or not). :goodjob: Your temps are moderate right now, but you still want a CYA of at least 30 to balance with the liquid chlorine (bleach) you add each day or so. I'm sure you'll bring the pH down with some muriatic acid too. Pool looks very nice refilled. Good work!

Reactions: wireform
Also remember that new water has no CYA. I know CYA is a dirty 3-letter word for some, but with new water, and your own home testing, you are in charge and know when to increase it (or not). :goodjob: Your temps are moderate right now, but you still want a CYA of at least 30 to balance with the liquid chlorine (bleach) you add each day or so. I'm sure you'll bring the pH down with some muriatic acid too. Pool looks very nice refilled. Good work!

yup I have a jug of it to add and pretty socks for @kimkats so I can get my bonus points lol

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Ok so all chems are in, added acid to lower ph to 7.4, got cya hanging in cute socks for @kimkats
And got chlorine in target 6, I will check everything testing later

AB1D8EA9-2691-4324-8231-BCA1B03924B6.jpeg
cute sock for kim lol

D4229BBD-02E8-4AD6-A48C-622A3AA30610.jpeg
How it looks right now ??

Reactions: Flying Tivo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.