Old main drain cover missing

skudz

Jul 24, 2017
NY
The main drain cover on my inground pool from the 1960s was missing when we bought the house. Pretty sure there's no screw holes. Is there a product that will fit on this? It's 9 feet down there so it'll be a challenge unless I end up draining the pool which I'm trying to avoid. That's a ball that was stuck in the drain I got that out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220827-225102_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220827-225102_Gallery.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 27
For some u have to glue a collar in place before putting the cover on but depending upon the size there may be several options.
Lets see if @JamesW has some input.

Mine has dual drains in the deep end. Does yours?
If so, you might be able to see how the other drain cover is attached.

Mine has a "face ring" which is attached to the plaster using stainless steel #2 phillips head screws that hold the base plate and then the cover itself twists into that base plate.

I echo the safety sentiment to not use the pool until that cover is fixed.
We could dig up stories about people drowning and worse which are all true but too gory to link to.

Speaking of safety, make sure the cover meets safety standards labeled as "VGB-2008" or "ASME/ANSI A1112.19.8-2007."

Reactions: Mdragger88
I am going to get some ear plugs
You never scuba dived or snorkeled at depth before?
I don't think ear plugs are a good idea.

Best is to do what divers do.
Hold your nostrils closed and blow a bit at depth.

If that sounds funny to you... ask anyone who has dived more than about 10 feet or so.
(every 33 feet is an atmosphere of 14.7psi - although I forget if that's salt water or fresh water)
and better goggles and try to get a better look at this thing.
What you need is a weight belt - anywhere between about 4 pounds to 16 or 20 (in four pound increments).

BTW, if you want to be impressed at how the pros do it, I found myself counting the seconds this guy did it (using a weight belt) and googles...
How the pros replace a drain plate & cover in 10 feet of water
I've been turning off the pump before anyone goes in.
The pro video above scared me (the guy's not human!) so maybe watch a few of these amateurs like us.
Replace Drain base plate & cover

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only use vented ear plugs.
If u weight yourself down make sure there is someone there incase u run into trouble.
Ps - a tape measure is 25 feet long, you should be able to let it out, lock it, then hold both ends with the middle flat over the drain hole to get a round about measurement. Pro tip, dry the tape measure out well before reeling it back in or it will rust (or u could just use a cheap one)

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.