Jul 21, 2020
Palm Springs, ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,
I just picked up this test kit from Leslie. What do you think? Is it missing anything important? Thank you!

Attachments

• 635D3E4B-A990-4502-AEC7-552D59F68464.jpeg
    635D3E4B-A990-4502-AEC7-552D59F68464.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 33
It's missing the FAS-DPD test. Without it, you can't usually test FC at the levels we recommend here at TFP. Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

The two recommended kits are the Taylor K-2006 (or K-2006C for extra sized reagents), available at Amazon or other places, or the TF100 at tftestkits.com

Reactions: mguzzy and kimkats
Dang the case says DPD on it so I was hoping it had it! Is the FAS-DPD test absolutely necessary? We are on a budget since we are resurfacing and re-tiling the pool next month but I want to make sure our levels are perfect for our new pebble!

Dang the case says DPD on it so I was hoping it had it! Is the FAS-DPD test absolutely necessary? We are on a budget since we are resurfacing and re-tiling the pool next month but I want to make sure our levels are perfect for our new pebble!

IMO, the FAS -DPD test is one of the most important tests. I wouldn’t be without it!

The DPD test is good at telling you if there is any FC in the pool, but not good at telling you the level of FC. It’s also limited how high it can read. The FAS-DPD test is the best at telling you the level of FC and can test a much higher range.

Proper FC level is the foundation of the TFP way of pool care, IMO. Without an accurate/reliable way to test FC, you’re flying blind.

Reactions: mmardini
If I may, of all the ways to cut the costs of a pool or its maintenance, the testing gear should be the last place to look. It's "penny-wise dollar-foolish." A proper kit, and what we teach here (which requires a proper kit) can save you from letting your pool get away from you, which can easily cost more than the price of a good kit to fix.

But the good news is, the Leslie's kit label is claiming the reagents are made by Taylor, which is what we recommend. So whether you supplement your kit with what's missing, or buy another full kit, what you bought will not go to waste. You'll likely still be able to make use of it. Now, if you haven't used the Leslie's kit, you could return it. If you have one of the two kits we recommend, then when you come here seeking advice about your water chemistry, we'll all be speaking the same language. And the value you'll receive here is in the money you'll save on pool maintenance and specifically on pool chemicals, so that's even more "free money" to compensate you for the cost of a great kit. I swear it!

If I may, of all the ways to cut the costs of a pool or its maintenance, the testing gear should be the last place to look. It's "penny-wise dollar-foolish." A proper kit, and what we teach here (which requires a proper kit) can save you from letting your pool get away from you, which can easily cost more than the price of a good kit to fix.

But the good news is, the Leslie's kit label is claiming the reagents are made by Taylor, which is what we recommend. So whether you supplement your kit with what's missing, or buy another full kit, what you bought will not go to waste. You'll likely still be able to make use of it. Now, if you haven't used the Leslie's kit, you could return it. If you have one of the two kits we recommend, then when you come here seeking advice about your water chemistry, we'll all be speaking the same language. And the value you'll receive here is in the money you'll save on pool maintenance and specifically on pool chemicals, so that's even more "free money" to compensate you for the cost of a great kit. I swear it!

THIS!!!

Reactions: mmardini
I bought that same kit from Leslie's shortly before I discovered TFP. All you need to add is the $30 FAS/DPD test as mentioned above by @Saturn94 . You can make room in the box by discarding the acid & base demand test reagents, which TFP doesn't need.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.