OK, here's a down side...

The Mermaid Queen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Northern KY
... to having a gas grill... midway through my chicken this evening, I ran out of propane! :cry: :cry: :cry:
So I had to finish them off in the oven. and the potatoes too. drat.

I thought about getting one of those little $20 guages at HD or Lowes, but then figured I would not trade in the tank until it was empty anyhow, so what good would it be to know I was running low...

So what do y'all do when you run out of propane?

gas

Hay Mermaid Queen
I have not done a complete study on this method but if your tank is about 5 lbs and has a valve on top I turn the valve off and switch to the spare tank. I have found this to be the best solution. lol
I enjoy you posts
Ric W :-D

I have 3 tanks since I hate making trips to the gas station and waiting.... It is usually busy as heck and you have to wait 25 minutes for the kid to get your tank even hooked up to the filling machine.

I usually wait till two are empty then go fill em.

Also, Like a previous poster said, you never know when a neighbour is going to come asking to use your grill or if you have a tank laying around with fuel in it.

My method is foolproof.

I have two tanks...when one runs out, I switch to the other one. Then when that one runs out in the middle of cooking, I kick myself sharply in the butt for not remembering to fill the first one back up and spend the rest of the evening listening to the chin music from my wife while she finishes cooking in the oven.

Lastly, the next time we grill, I try for 5-10 minutes to light the grill before I realize that I still haven't remembered to fill either tank....more chin music followed rapidly by several adult beverages. Life is chaotic at our house but never dull. :lol: :lol:

duraleigh said:
My method is foolproof.

I have two tanks...when one runs out, I switch to the other one. Then when that one runs out in the middle of cooking, I kick myself sharply in the butt for not remembering to fill the first one back up and spend the rest of the evening listening to the chin music from my wife while she finishes cooking in the oven.

Lastly, the next time we grill, I try for 5-10 minutes to light the grill before I realize that I still haven't remembered to fill either tank....more chin music followed rapidly by several adult beverages. Life is chaotic at our house but never dull. :lol: :lol:

I more or less follow your plan, without the dual tanks, and I am the one doing the griping, usually at DH for not rushing out and trading in the tank!

Some of us don't have the luxury of Natural Gas. One day I will be running another line from inside my house to my deck so i can run off the submarine tank house propane.
Once we moved to the country, I got a spare tank because getting propane went from a 10 minute deal to a 1 hour deal, of course, you have to make sure your spare tank is full.
Usually, jumping the fence to the neighbour's and liberating their tank for a while is also an option (if you're friends with them).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.