Oil film on top of water....new as of this morning.

BrentATL

Jul 15, 2021
Homosassa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have been maintaining my pool for a year now (thanks to TFP and the FT-100 kit) and all has gone darn near perfect. I swam last night and nothing was out of the ordinary, but when I went to check levels this morning, my pool is covered with an oily film. Please see attached photoIMG-2334.JPG.

I have a heat pump that is 14 years old and hasn't worked since last summer (no bypass on it). 1.5 hp Hayward pump, SWG, pleated filter and solar heat panels on my roof. No visible leaks around any equipment.

All chemical levels are within recommended range according to my "Pool Math" app.

I top off the pool when needed with well water but have verified there is no oil residue coming from that water source.

Thank you for any direction you can point me.IMG-2337.JPG

You can purchase oil absorbing pads from the auto parts store or home depot, though not sure if they carry the floating kind. In the marine repair industry, we called them bilge pads, ones that floated and would take up float oil. Might could find some of those at a marine repair store/supply.

Reactions: BrentATL
Update: I removed the heat pump yesterday and today the water is 98% oil free. I didn't see any obvious issues with the heat pump as I tore it completely apart, but it's the only thing that's different today.

The heat pump will have a core leak and have lost all the freon and beyond anything serviceable by yourself. Quite possibly will be looking at a replacement HP after 14 years.

The heat pump will have a core leak and have lost all the freon and beyond anything serviceable by yourself. Quite possibly will be looking at a replacement HP after 14 years.
My HP did have a freon leak and due to its age and condition, I just pulled it out and will replace it someday....maybe. Only used it twice in the past 18 months so averaging my cost per use for a new unit is very high. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.