Oh no,...I think I made a newbie error....

ashtonbritney

Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Albemarle, NC
I was using the manual vacuum/hose cleaning the bottom the next morning after a storm. It started losing some suction so I paused, back washed, and try to continue vacuuming. I am barely getting any suction. I think I am an idiot and hooked it up wrong. I am using what the previous owners had and what I remember them telling me. Anyways I had the hose hooked directly to the skimmer port hole and I think I clogged it? What do I do now?

See if you can put water from the pump basket inlet back towards the skimmer with a hose.

Thanks...wouldnt have thought of that. Will do it this morning. So set this idiot straight...how is my manual vacuum hose supposed to be connected? All I have is a skimmer basket, a hose, and a manual pool floor vacuum attachment. Am I missing a piece that connects to the skimmer?

A skimmer plate allows you to connect the vac hose to it and lt covers the skimmer basket. So the large debris is captured in the skimmer basket.

You should also net out the large debris prior to vacuuming.

You also may have some stuff in the impeller of your pump. Turn the power off to the pump at the breaker box before you look. I have to take the pump basket off to really get to my impeller to clean it.

Here is a picture of the skimmer plate: Amazon.com: HydroTools by Swimline Oly Replacement Elbow Games There are many. Make sure you get the right size for your pool. I will also tell you I have not had good luck using them due to air leaks so would put my hose down the skimmer like you did. That is why I know about cleaning the pump impeller :roll: NOW I have a robot so don't have to worry about that any more! :party:

Kim:kim:

Mine DOES have the basket that sits in front of the pump. My only guess is that the leave somehow go over the lip of the pump basket and make it to the impeller :( That is why I am LOVING my robot! No more worries about having to mess with the pump and filter!

Kim:kim:

Things always seem to find a way right? Reminds me of having to tear apart the clothes washer to find out why it wasn't draining. I found a sock lodged in the drain pump. Somehow it founds it's way through a narrow gap at the top of the wash basin and got into the water tub.

Anything can happen![emoji38]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.