Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi everyone, I just posted a few days back about a FLO error. I want to head and replace the flow switch, and it fix the problem. So for the last week I’ve been enjoying my hot tub. I went to get it tonight, and luckily I looked before I got in it because the temperature is 116°. I seen it flashing the 0H area code, from what I can Google it says that is a temp sensor issue. Wondering how hard that is to fix? I haven’t done much research yet, I’ve had this thing for 10 years and all I did prior about four or five years ago is replace a flow switch then, now I just replaced my second-floor switch and now this, I guess it is 10 years old and I’ve never had any issue with it other than what I mentioned. Any input on this fix would be appreciated. Hopefully it’s not too difficult. Also I should mention that the number one pump is running, normally I have to turn this on to start the massage, but I know the pump indicator icon is off it is running whenever I put power back to it? I’ve cut the power to it twice and let it sit for a part 10 minutes, I turn it back on and it immediately kicks the pump on and the OH error comes back up.
.2010 Sundance Altamar.

Last edited:
The control system reacts to high temps by running the pumps to move water. This can be counterproductive in the long term, as the pump produces heat itself.
Was the water actually 116, or is it just showing that on the display?

The control system reacts to high temps by running the pumps to move water. This can be counterproductive in the long term, as the pump produces heat itself.
Was the water actually 116, or is it just showing that on the display?
It was definitely 116°. Powered it Back on tonight, pumps are not running now (unless I turn them on)and no error. It read 105 so I got in. Once it got down to 102 I turned the temp up to 104 and the circulation pump kicked on as did the heater element icon. Acting normal? I will do some of the troubleshooting you recommended tomorrow when it gets light out again. Thanks for the reply and all the help, very much appreciated. I’m just wondering if I should leave the power on tonight or shut it back down? I certainly don’t want it to overheat again?

It was definitely 116°. Powered it Back on tonight, pumps are not running now (unless I turn them on)and no error. It read 105 so I got in. Once it got down to 102 I turned the temp up to 104 and the circulation pump kicked on as did the heater element icon. Acting normal? I will do some of the troubleshooting you recommended tomorrow when it gets light out again. Thanks for the reply and all the help, very much appreciated. I’m just wondering if I should leave the power on tonight or shut it back down? I certainly don’t want it to overheat again?

One more update for you in case it may help. As I mentioned I got in the hot tub and I let it get down 102° as stated above. And then turn it up to 104° and also as I stated above the circulation pump came on as did the heater icon. Once it hit 103° I went ahead and turned the temperature down to 100°. The heater quit heating water basically immediately in the circulation pump continue to run for probably one maybe two minutes and then it stopped. I did change that flow switch like a week ago, maybe I caused a bad connection on the temp sensor? Everything seems to be working normal right now, with no error. Tomorrow I will remove the sensor block from the panel and re-insert it after checking all the wires. I guess my question is if it was a bad sensor would everything be working completely normal again? When I got out of the tub I turned it down to 98°. Before I go to bed I will make sure it’s not running up. Also the filter is new, and the old one never got that bad to be honest. thx again.

I would leave it set at the temp you intend to use it at.
This behavior is normal for what you are doing with it.
Sensors have a range in which they will not trigger an error. If a sensor is hovering at the cusp of that range it can cause intermittent function. Loose connections can also cause this. These are not common, but worth checking out.
It's also possible that you have a sticking relay on the board causing the pump or heater to run on. These can also be intermittent when first going bad.
Post a pic of your circuit board.

I would leave it set at the temp you intend to use it at.
This behavior is normal for what you are doing with it.
Sensors have a range in which they will not trigger an error. If a sensor is hovering at the cusp of that range it can cause intermittent function. Loose connections can also cause this. These are not common, but worth checking out.
It's also possible that you have a sticking relay on the board causing the pump or heater to run on. These can also be intermittent when first going bad.
Post a pic of your circuit board.

thank you for the reply, I will post a picture of the circuitboard tomorrow.

Here is the circuit board. I left the temperature set at 99, and it is still there this morning with no error codes. I disconnected check the connections in reseated the sensor connection this morning. These pictures may not be the best quality as I can’t post full sizes I don’t think, if you need better quality pictures if you want to PM me your cell phone I will text them to you.

Attachments

• 6823B748-85EA-4232-8E68-371E4DC773D4.jpeg
    6823B748-85EA-4232-8E68-371E4DC773D4.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 9
  • A36A118A-5000-4EDA-A6FE-741D9F3DBDB8.jpeg
    A36A118A-5000-4EDA-A6FE-741D9F3DBDB8.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 353B2189-B55B-40CB-BDFE-D0CE06C36287.jpeg
    353B2189-B55B-40CB-BDFE-D0CE06C36287.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 59B6870D-F3DD-46D9-91D4-C2B51DCC9930.jpeg
    59B6870D-F3DD-46D9-91D4-C2B51DCC9930.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 9
This may be better

Attachments

• AE075711-0945-457F-9D44-B70E077D3591.jpeg
    AE075711-0945-457F-9D44-B70E077D3591.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 8D510FCE-DCFE-4ED3-8FB7-1086373A3721.jpeg
    8D510FCE-DCFE-4ED3-8FB7-1086373A3721.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 6
Just to be certain, you have checked your filter cycle programming to ensure that your pump is not running from programmed cycles?
When you say it immediately shows oh and turns on pump, do you mean immediately after the start-up sequence, or immediately when you flip the breaker? Is the spa already overheated when this happens?
Are your board pics upside down? The gray terminals for pump connections are usually on the bottom. :unsure:
Bottom of board in pic is a connector, usually gray, that has 3 pairs of wires coming in, the flow switch and both sensors. Remove this by folding the clips on each short side down and away from the connector. Remove this and check for loose wires or corrosion. Use an ohm meter set to 20k ohms to test both sensors. This will be a PITA as the acces in the connector is very limited and awkward to get the test leads on. Also, the location where you will place the leads is the spot where you depress the retaining clip for the wire to remove it from the connector, so they may come out on you. Be sure they make it back in the same spot if they do.
Bottom left corner of pic is blurry in every image. Is there any sign of damage, discoloration, or corrosion there?
Top left of pic there are some white stickers. Next to them is a black relay. Below the relay is a small black square with a silver tab with a screw hole on one side and 3 small tabs on the other. Is there a screw in that screw hole? Is there a nut behind it to screw into? Typically, those components (triac) must be grounded. Not sure if it's related, but worth checking out.
Otherwise the board looks good from what I can see here, which does not at all mean it IS good.
On the bottom right of your pic are the heater relays, with red and black wires on them. With power off, these should all be open (no continuity from one wire terminal to the other on each relay). Check these with an ohm meter to verify your thermostat relay is not sticking and causing the overheat. Be sure power is off while checking.
Disconnect main pump wires from board by depressing the small white tab with a screwdriver or such to open the jaws of the connector. Be gentle or you will break the tab and have a serious problem. With pump disconnected and power off, test for continuity from each pump connector on the board to each of the main power connections (one lead on pump connection, other on main power). These should also be open.
Middle of board is a connector with 2 yellow and 2 blue wires. With power on, check voltage across both blue wires, both yellow wires, and one yellow to one blue. Post results.

It’s been so long I’ll have to get my owners manual to learn the procedure to check my pump program cycles, but I’ve never changed them so I expect they are the same as always, the hot tub will kick on once in a while like it always has.

yes the only time the pump kicks and the OH error appeared on immediately is when I would turn the breaker back on and the temperature was still high such as 116°. Once the temperature became normal after I had it disconnected from power for sometime, the hot tub seems be working perfectly normal. Everything was working normal until one day I looked and the temperature was 116°, and the OH error was showing. I have no idea why it got that hot. I will tell you it was extremely hot so I believe the 116° reading was correct. My temperature was set on 101°. At that point I turned off my breaker, and let the hot tub sit until it got down to approximately 104°. When the temperature was still high, I shut the breaker off for 30 minutes and turn it back on, it immediately turn the pump on and give me the OH error. I then waited a couple of hours, and it did the exact same thing and the temperature was still over 110°. Once I let the hot tub cool down to regular temperatures and turn the power back on and everything’s working as normal with no error and the pump not running constantly.

I don’t think the board is upside down probably just the way the pictures posted. The little block that plugs into the board that has the flow switch and temperature sensor is on the top of the board. Sorry for the blurred pictures, the board looks like new visually.

i’ve been working in my yard due to an ice storm that caused all kinds of problems on my property, so I have not had time to get my ohmmeter and check. Right now everything seems to be working normal. I did order a new temp sensor, not sure I needed it but at least I’ll have one on hand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I figured, but wanted to be clear as to what connections I was talking about since the pics were upside down and I was trying to direct you.
Temp sensors are a common issue, and you will undoubtedly need one sooner or later, if not now.
Let me know what you find.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.