Offline Chlorinator Plumbing with Pool/Spa combo

Oct 18, 2016
Glen Mills, PA
Looking for recommendations on where to plumb the outlet. Inlet would go after the filter but before the heater. Was thinking that the outlet should go on the pool return, not the main return since that would over chlorinate the spa if it's on for long. However, if its on the pool only and the spa is on for a couple of hours, then the pool return line would become super chlorinated.... thoughts?

What type of offline chlorinator are you using? Tabs or liquid chlorine?
Usually the injection point is after the heater in the return line.
A few pics of your equipment pad well help us get a better idea of your set up.

Where is Glen Mills? - add your state to your profile

as @proavia stated, What type of chlorinator? We don't recommend using pool tabs regularly as they drive up CYA and CH over time. If you are injecting liquid chlorine using a metering pump like a Stenner, that's fine. Typically, the chlorine injection is after the heater, prior to splitting out for return to the spa or pool, however every pool is different. Pictures or diagrams of your particular set up would be very helpful.

It's a Pentiar/Rainbow tab chlorinator. I've been using the liquidator for the last couple of years and am looking to have both options. At the end of the season last year, My CYA was 30-40. Beginning of this season it's at 0. Between draining some for winter and all the rain, I can only guess that it has now dropped significantly. I like the idea of both options as there are times when 5 gallon liquid chlorine becomes a real PITA. So having the tab backup feeder would be a nice option assuming the CYA is low enough. As CYA creeps up, I would switch back to the liquid chlorine.

Picture attached. Pretty simple setup. Right side is waterfall. Main pump is next to that, with two skimmers, pool drain and spa drain with actuator controlling spa/pool. Into filter then out into the heater. Out of heater splits up to UV, down to check valve where they rejoin to actuator, diverting to either pool returns or spa returns.

The liquidator currently receives water from saddle valve between filter and heater and returns through suction side of pipe drain. (The saddle valve between the pump and the filter is for a temperature sensor for automation)

To switch to the offline tab chlorinator, I'd simply plug the suction side of pump drain. Connect feed side saddle valve to the Tab chlorinator inlet and then the outlet from the tab chlorinator to.......... Was thinking the vertical return after the UV, but before the return actuator.

Open to thoughts and suggestions.20200425_111236.jpg

My personal opinion, and others may want to chime in if I'm wrong, But if your dead set on using an inline chlorinator why not remove the UV as general consensus is that they don't do much good and put your chlorinator in there? If you don't want to do that, how about cut those legs going to the UV, put in some 3 way valves, and run a parallel path with the UV. I'm pretty sure though that you don't want to mix liquid chlorine with pucks, so you would need to put a valve to isolate the Liquidator so it isn't running at the same time.
Personaly if it was me, I would chuck the Liquidator (well, save the tank) and the UV and Ozone, and install a Stenner. If you need CYA, add it on it's own so you can more easily control it.
Hope I've given you some worthwhile options.

My personal opinion, and others may want to chime in if I'm wrong, But if your dead set on using an inline chlorinator why not remove the UV as general consensus is that they don't do much good and put your chlorinator in there? If you don't want to do that, how about cut those legs going to the UV, put in some 3 way valves, and run a parallel path with the UV. I'm pretty sure though that you don't want to mix liquid chlorine with pucks, so you would need to put a valve to isolate the Liquidator so it isn't running at the same time.
Personaly if it was me, I would chuck the Liquidator (well, save the tank) and the UV and Ozone, and install a Stenner. If you need CYA, add it on it's own so you can more easily control it.
Hope I've given you some worthwhile options.

Thanks for the response. I have been considering the stenner option. If I went that route was thinking the Hayward Sense and Dispense or something similar. Was just looking for something a little simpler (and cheaper) for now.

Ok, more personal opinion time. pH Probes requre periodic standardization (comparison to a known standard, basically a calibration) as far as I know, this Hayward system doesn't do that. Therefore their pH probe has got to be off by some margin after a period of time. I assume chlorine probe would have the same issues. I purchased my Stenner pump for 250 (half the cost of the Hayward) and installed it myself in a day. Unless you have problems with fill water driving up pH, you probably don't need the acid half of that system anyway.

Ok, more personal opinion time. pH Probes requre periodic standardization (comparison to a known standard, basically a calibration) as far as I know, this Hayward system doesn't do that. Therefore their pH probe has got to be off by some margin after a period of time. I assume chlorine probe would have the same issues. I purchased my Stenner pump for 250 (half the cost of the Hayward) and installed it myself in a day. Unless you have problems with fill water driving up pH, you probably don't need the acid half of that system anyway.

I'll DM you to ask about your setup so that I don't derail this thread. Am interested to hear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very typical to feed acid along with liquid chlorine. Most public pools run this way. I would not get a tablet feeder, and I would not feed liquid into the pump suction. Stenner is a great choice. Feed in before return valve, do not feed into equipment. Make sure you have adequate distance between chlorine injector and acid injector.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.