Official 2022 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

My weekend pork butt, just before the shred ... scored fat cap up, with a mustard/SPG rub.... then couple hours in the Primo grill, mesquite lump with pecan and cherry chunks for smoke ... smoked in-direct, in the foil pan to get smoke and keep the moisture .... and start cooking, them wrap in foil to 165... then a covered rest until the shred.

Attachments

• 20220529_161605.jpg
    20220529_161605.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: jark87
guys. I did reverse seared steaks last year nd before I seared them my neighbors kids told me I used a butter compound. I think I remember soaking them in butter before I seared them on the grill. but I can't find any info on the net about the technique. anyone have any info for me? I think I might have melted a ton of butter and but fresh herbs in it for a bit. dunked them and then seared.

guys. I did reverse seared steaks last year nd before I seared them my neighbors kids told me I used a butter compound. I think I remember soaking them in butter before I seared them on the grill. but I can't find any info on the net about the technique. anyone have any info for me? I think I might have melted a ton of butter and but fresh herbs in it for a bit. dunked them and then seared.
I have yet to try reverse sear technique maybe sometime this year :cheers:

I think I might have melted a ton of butter and but fresh herbs in it for a bit. dunked them and then seared.
That’s exactly what I do. Once the steaks hit my target temp prior to sear, I let them rest in a butter bath, with fresh herbs (rosemary and thyme) and crushed garlic. Rest time is about 10 minutes and make sure both sides of the steaks get soaked. Then sear and serve immediately because steaks have already rested. Plus, serving right off the grill after searing has the butter sizzling as the steak hits the plate. Always a hit. Reverse sear is by far the best way to cook a steak!

1654180644753.jpeg

That’s exactly what I do. Once the steaks hit my target temp prior to sear, I let them rest in a butter bath, with fresh herbs (rosemary and thyme) and crushed garlic. Rest time is about 10 minutes and make sure both sides of the steaks get soaked. Then sear and serve immediately because steaks have already rested. Plus, serving right off the grill after searing has the butter sizzling as the steak hits the plate. Always a hit. Reverse sear is by far the best way to cook a steak!

View attachment 418471
have u posted that pic before? swore i have seen it before. prob where i got the idea then cause i thought it was here or from another member.

@Brentr literally the only way to cook beef since i learned it. serious eats .com has the best article on it with all the science.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I’m taking a long shot here. Neighbor brought over steaks but they are pretty thin. I’m going to attempt to reverse sear em. Got the recteq at 200 only. Figure they will hit 115 in like 20 mins. Lol. Then a quick butter bath and off to the Weber for thier sear.

I got all kinda toys. Now I know how you guys with ur griddles and smokers and grills feel. I got choices in my life for once. Lol

I think I’m going to be faced with a similar situation in a couple of weeks. A friend has some frozen ribeyes that he wants me to cook and I’m afraid they’re going to be too thin to reverse sear. Hope to hear how yours turned out.

As far as multiple grills go, my backyard is my haven. Got the pool and 4 grills (with accessories like pizza oven) but got rid of my offset smoker a few months ago. It was hard to let that thing go, but I hadn’t used it in years. I kinda like my existing lineup: Kamado Joe for anything that cooks for more than 15 minutes; Blaze built-in natural gasser for hot and fast, as well as searing; Pit Barrel Cooker primarily for ribs (holds up to 8 racks at once); and Weber Kettle for whenever I need extra charcoal grilling space or pizza. PBC and Kettle are also tailgating choices.

Hard to beat a long cook, enhanced with adult beverages, all while relaxing in the pool on a hot summer day. :cheers:

I think I’m going to be faced with a similar situation in a couple of weeks. A friend has some frozen ribeyes that he wants me to cook and I’m afraid they’re going to be too thin to reverse sear. Hope to hear how yours turned out.

As far as multiple grills go, my backyard is my haven. Got the pool and 4 grills (with accessories like pizza oven) but got rid of my offset smoker a few months ago. It was hard to let that thing go, but I hadn’t used it in years. I kinda like my existing lineup: Kamado Joe for anything that cooks for more than 15 minutes; Blaze built-in natural gasser for hot and fast, as well as searing; Pit Barrel Cooker primarily for ribs (holds up to 8 racks at once); and Weber Kettle for whenever I need extra charcoal grilling space or pizza. PBC and Kettle are also tailgating choices.

Hard to beat a long cook, enhanced with adult beverages, all while relaxing in the pool on a hot summer day. :cheers:
That was my situation. Lol frozen fillets except when they thawed they were bad. Lol like dead body bad. So she went out and bought new strip steaks but they didn’t have anything thick. They were not bad. Really tasty. Not overdone. The butter compound saved them. It was like late night diner steaks. All u needed was some eggs. Would I choose to do it again. heck no. But was it good yah for sure.

That was my situation. Lol frozen fillets except when they thawed they were bad. Lol like dead body bad. So she went out and bought new strip steaks but they didn’t have anything thick. They were not bad. Really tasty. Not overdone. The butter compound saved them. It was like late night diner steaks. All u needed was some eggs. Would I choose to do it again. heck no. But was it good yah for sure.
I read somewhere that cooking steaks frozen was a thing now :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.