Official 2021 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the info, I can’t wait to try a reverse sear like that. What do you think about a little lower temp and a little longer smoke to up the flavor and crust? I’m definitely going to go for that “flare up” sear technique.
For the second one, I turned on the Traeger's "super smoke" feature. Definitely had a smokier taste, but I didnt care for it. It wasn't terrible, but just seemed to brisket-y. I much preferred the first one that had more of a steak feel/taste/consistency. I don't think it would be in there long enough to get a crust/bark like other smoked meats get.

We only reverse sear since a member here introduced me to it. It’s the only way to cook a steak or a pork chop I feel.
I concur about the smoke with steaks. My wife and myself agree some cuts just should not be smoked. Not a bad thing. Lol just sometimes you don’t need it. I got to get some steaks for this weekend!

Speaking of reverse sear, I did just that, with a twist, on some center cut filets. The twist was making a butter bath that the steaks rested in while I got the fire up to temp for the sear. Butter bath consisted of butter, garlic, fresh thyme and rosemary. Filets had a great sizzle after searing due to the butter. The boss said it was the best steak she’s ever had and she’s a tough critic!

1630021711984.jpeg
1630021741030.jpeg
1630021770032.jpeg

Reactions: MiguelACA
Speaking of reverse sear, I did just that, with a twist, on some center cut filets. The twist was making a butter bath that the steaks rested in while I got the fire up to temp for the sear. Butter bath consisted of butter, garlic, fresh thyme and rosemary. Filets had a great sizzle after searing due to the butter. The boss said it was the best steak she’s ever had and she’s a tough critic!

interesting, ill have to give it a try! looks good!

View attachment 367661
View attachment 367662
View attachment 367663

did u use unsalted butter? Was it too much butter flavor after you seared vs oil? I usually use olive oil for my sear.

did u use unsalted butter? Was it too much butter flavor after you seared vs oil? I usually use olive oil for my sear.
Yes - unsalted butter since I had already dry brined. No - it wasn’t too much butter at all. I covered them in butter while getting the fire up to sear temp, but the actual sear cooks most of the butter off. If anything, the garlic and herbs really stood out. Flavor was terrific!

Yes - unsalted butter since I had already dry brined. No - it wasn’t too much butter at all. I covered them in butter while getting the fire up to sear temp, but the actual sear cooks most of the butter off. If anything, the garlic and herbs really stood out. Flavor was terrific!
Ok cool thanks for that. I’m going to add shallots vs garlic for a change and I have a ton of rosemary from my garden right now.

I have to do 11 steaks tomorrow. All different temps and cuts. So should be interesting. Ribeyes and strips. I know they can sit and no go up in temp much at all before I sear so hopefully I’m ok.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My son’s fiancée is Indian, so I gave Tandoori chicken a try. Marinated in a yogurt and spice concoction overnight, then cooked indirect for 2 hours, and finally put a nice char on it over direct heat. Turned out pretty good and my future daughter-in-law gave it a thumbs up, but could be that she was just being polite. 🙂

Served with Basmati rice and baked sweet potatoes. Angel food cake, with macerated fruit and Blue Bell vanilla ice cream for dessert!

Happy Labor Day weekend!

1630885428973.jpeg
1630885451878.jpeg
1630885485704.jpeg
1630885510823.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: allidb85
585054A5-0C69-42B5-8440-1C168C6EA2D3.jpeg556975E2-81E6-4E02-8E4E-165644F429FC.jpegB3D1B95D-AC33-4100-BC48-A2B4AEE974A3.jpeg

Made a trip up to a smaller market where we filled the freezer with some meat that’ll last us a few months. With school starting back up the girls make us run constantly so we’ll freeze most the meat and and have it the few days we actually get off. It’s nice when we actually don’t have somewhere to go to be able to just grab some steaks or whatever rather than going to the store for supper. The ground meat I turned into Sweet Italian Sausage but forgot to get a photo of the end product.

Also got some tomatoes from a friend who stocks a “tomato table” this time of the year where anybody can just grab some of their extra harvest. Canned salsa today and hopefully some spaghetti sauce tomorrow. 👍👍

Now if I could just get some corn to freeze…….

Nice looking bones! I cooked dino ribs a few weeks ago. Took me 10 hours to finish those puppies.
Was my first time cooking these and was shooting for around 5 hours. Dinner needed to "get done" so I finished them in the oven. Wouldve like to let them rest a little while longer. Ill plan for around 7 hours next time. Also, I didnt know if these would stall like brisket, sure enough they did. Sat at around 170 for 2-3 hours.

Sat at around 170 for 2-3 hours.
Exact same scenario for me. Luckily, I had planned for a 10 hour cook, but I had to wrap for the last hour or so to make that happen. Ribs were still on the grill when guests arrived, so I cut it a little tighter than I wanted to. It was my first time cooking plate ribs, too. They turned our great, though!

Reactions: Berger82
Made some Texas Twinkies over the weekend for a tailgate party. I found a small brisket that had the flat and point separated and ALL of the fat trimmed off - not an ideal brisket, but fine for the Twinkie stuffing. Cored out the jalapeños and then put a little smoke on them to soften them up a bit. Mixed chopped brisket with cream cheese and brown sugar and stuffed the mixture into the peppers. Wrapped them in thin bacon strips and smoked at 250° for 90 minutes.Turned out delicious! I didn’t get pictures of the cooked Twinkies because a friend cooked them on his smoker at the tailgate.

I love football season!

1632171306247.jpeg
1632171329046.jpeg

1632171363486.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Berger82

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.