Official 2021 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some short ribs a few months ago and it came out a bit dry. I think it did not have enough meat and fat on it. Plate ribs are the way go I understand but they are hard to find in my area :cheers:

I cooked ribs on my Kamado Joe for the first time. I normally cook ribs on my Pit Barrel Cooker because I can hang 8 racks at a time, but only needed 3 racks this time. I made Meathead’s Memphis Dust rub, with some jalapeño powder added for an extra kick. I haven’t wrapped ribs in years, but had a recipe that I wanted to try. I laid out the foil, squirted down some Mike’s Hot Honey, mustard, sprinkled more rub and added a few pats of butter. Then I laid the ribs meat side down on top of that concoction, wrapped up and finished the cook. I only cooked for 3 hours at 300°, but they ended up too moist - truly falling off the bone as you can see. Flavor was great, but I like more texture to my ribs, so I doubt that I’ll wrap again. My wife made baked beans and dirty rice - all in all a fun

BTW, note the pic of the temp. 87° in the Dallas area on July 4th! Unheard of! Sun came out during the cook and it got into the low 90s and we all enjoyed a 78° pool!

View attachment 352017
View attachment 352018

View attachment 352019

View attachment 352020
Your egg is too clean....you need to get it more "seasoned"....lol

Your egg is too clean....you need to get it more "seasoned"....lol
Too funny. Yes, it’s still pretty new - a couple of months old - but I’ve already done about a dozen cooks on it. I absolutely love it and wish I had come over to the kamado family sooner. Just like everything with BBQ, there’s always more to learn! Plate ribs will be my first long cook (8+ hours), so I’m looking forward to it but also a little nervous since we’ll have guests. A few beverages should get me on my way!

Reactions: Gladius Nova
Dino bones came out pretty good! Served with Meathead’s baked beans recipe from amazingribs.com, glazed dill carrots, potato salad and dizzy pineapple ala’ mode for dessert. Ribs took just over 10 hours and guests had arrived while I was still cooking, so the only picture I got was of the ribs when wrapping.

1626495980697.jpeg

10 hrs! How many pounds? What did u cook to? What temp did u pull to wrap? How much rest? Everything I’m reading for 5-6 lbs thier ranges are in the 6 hr range. I know those times are rarely ever right but 10 seems high for 4 bones it looks like.

Most of what I had seen/read said to expect 8-10 hours, but it was a weird cook. They were about 5.5 pounds, but I trimmed a ton of fat. Probably closer to 4 pounds after trimming. I planned for about 8-9 hours, but had enough time for 10. Meat temp climbed 100° in the first couple of hours, so I was worried about being done too early. I’m still learning the kamado, and most people use dome temp vs. grate temp. I still measure both and thought I had found the perfect temp - 225° on the grate and 240° at the dome. I was trying to follow methods from a couple of different cooks I had researched, and 1 recommended 225° and the other 240°, so I thought I nailed it. Once meat temp got to 177°, it stalled big time. Took 3 hours to get to 178°. I wanted to avoid wrapping. I raised cooking temp and oddly both grate and dome held the same at 250°. Once I did that, meat temp started climbing again. I didn’t wrap until the last 30 minutes - probably around 195° or so - and only did so because I thought I was never going to finish. All recommendations were to cook to 205°-210°, but after 10+ hours, I had just hit 200°. Meat was like peanut butter so I went with texture over temperature and they were great!

That’s good to know. Thanks for that. When I have a full day I’m going to try them. I just haven’t. Fishing gets priority. I actually haven’t done a full day cook yet this year. All it does is rain. Even though I’m covered it’s a pain.

they looked awesome. Good bark.

Followed yesterday’s cook with a much easier one - crispy BBQ chicken thighs. Used a thin layer of EVOO and lightly covered in flour and then dusted with BBQ rub. Cooked with vents wide open to promote airflow and was able to get crispy chicken skin for the first time on my KJ.

1626565041476.jpeg

1626565077124.jpeg
1626565106204.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: Gladius Nova
Yah chicken thighs are just always good. They are pretty bullet proof to cook also.

@Brentr yah cx’ed the New Years Disney trip. We just can’t bring ourselves to go with all the uncertainty down there. I don’t want to make park reservations. Especially since the crowd levels are back to normal almost. Seems stupid. No fast pass. I’m not waiting in 3-4 hr lines for headliners. Those days r over. Air fare is off the wall around here. I can’t bring myself to give an airline 800 plus for a ticket. So we hold till next April. Sad but so be it. We haven’t missed a year in over 20 years and now we r going on year 2 with no trip. Yah first world problem but as everyone who knows me here Disney is a huge part of who my family is.

Yah chicken thighs are just always good. They are pretty bullet proof to cook also.

@Brentr yah cx’ed the New Years Disney trip. We just can’t bring ourselves to go with all the uncertainty down there. I don’t want to make park reservations. Especially since the crowd levels are back to normal almost. Seems stupid. No fast pass. I’m not waiting in 3-4 hr lines for headliners. Those days r over. Air fare is off the wall around here. I can’t bring myself to give an airline 800 plus for a ticket. So we hold till next April. Sad but so be it. We haven’t missed a year in over 20 years and now we r going on year 2 with no trip. Yah first world problem but as everyone who knows me here Disney is a huge part of who my family is.
Hear that Jim, DW and daughter going this weekend for a few days to celebrate my daughter's birthday. All adult so lots of drinking and eating. We went back in May, not too bad, actually very nice as parks were at limited capacity so crowds were much less. We plan at least a couple of times in the fall for Food and Wine Festival :cheers:

That’s good to know. Thanks for that. When I have a full day I’m going to try them. I just haven’t. Fishing gets priority. I actually haven’t done a full day cook yet this year. All it does is rain. Even though I’m covered it’s a pain.

they looked awesome. Good bark.
The beauty of the RecTec is you set it and forget it. Don't have to babysit it, can be controlled via phone :cheers:

Hear that Jim, DW and daughter going this weekend for a few days to celebrate my daughter's birthday. All adult so lots of drinking and eating. We went back in May, not too bad, actually very nice as parks were at limited capacity so crowds were much less. We plan at least a couple of times in the fall for Food and Wine Festival :cheers:

man I miss food and wine. It’s been years with the kids now. Flower and garden is almost just as good. We took our neighbors a few years back. Ok enough Disney talk cause it gets me sad and frustrated. Time to go to work. I can’t even keep my eyes open as it is from getting home late last night from our bass tournament in no mans land.

No quite the chew I want but none the less very tasty :cheers:

Attachments

• D205B4DD-9532-4FA1-BDE4-9DF260ADBD63.jpeg
    D205B4DD-9532-4FA1-BDE4-9DF260ADBD63.jpeg
    633 KB · Views: 16
  • EB6D0545-7054-4CF1-B72B-F1E74C1586A9.jpeg
    EB6D0545-7054-4CF1-B72B-F1E74C1586A9.jpeg
    547.4 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: jark87
Monster omlete and ribs:cheers:

Attachments

• 802EAF94-5FB1-40EB-8984-C6A9E623742A.jpeg
    802EAF94-5FB1-40EB-8984-C6A9E623742A.jpeg
    559.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 9DCD1C9D-1C2F-4B42-B95C-697403DB6B4C.jpeg
    9DCD1C9D-1C2F-4B42-B95C-697403DB6B4C.jpeg
    661.6 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: jark87

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.