Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect fall weather in Texas for BBQ! Slow cooked cream cheese stuffed jalapeños, wrapped in butterflied chicken breasts, wrapped in bacon. Cooked on Weber kettle with Slow ‘n Sear. Served with Mexican street corn, also grilled on the Weber, and Parmesan garlic smoked potatoes, cooked indirect on gas grill with smoke pouch. Enjoyed a couple of Shannon Brewery Irish Reds while keeping an eye on temps - had to act like I was doing something! 🙂 Excellent meal!
View attachment 166127
View attachment 166128
View attachment 166129
Can you share how you made that corn?

Half done. This is 160F internal temp. Now we wrap and cook to 205. This is done in the oven.

half done.jpg

Meanwhile, I put 6 chicken breasts on the smoker.

Reactions: Leik
Can you share how you made that corn?
Super easy. Just grilled it directly over hot coals until charred. Slathered it with mayo, crumbled some feta cheese (cojita would have been more authentic, but I didn’t have any), and sprinkled chopped green onions. Top it off with a squeeze of lime. It’s a take on a Malcom Reed recipe from HowtoBBQRight.com. Actually, everything I cooked yesterday originated from him. His YouTube videos are great!

Reactions: usfbull
No pictures, but used the reverse sear method on filets using GrillGrates on gas grill. Removed center grate section and turned one burner to low, with steaks on opposite end. Other 2 burners remained off. Cooked steaks until center hit 110. Pulled them off to rest, replaced center grate and cranked all burners to high. Once grates were super hot, seared each side for roughly 2 minutes per side. Best steaks I’ve ever had from our gas grill - perfect crust and bright pink in the center! Only downside was that the entire process took about an hour and I couldn’t tell my wife how to time the sides, as I had no idea how long it was going to take. In the end, it all came together just fine, but added a little stress to cooking for 6 guests. Probably wasn’t the time to try a new technique, but it’s now my go-to! 🙂

We've been doing some reverse sear steaks in the oven first at 250 degrees until temp hits 125 degrees. Aprox 45 min, up to 75 min if they're the really thick prime steaks we've been getting from here- Snake River Farms: The Pioneers of American Wagyu Beef and DoubleR Ranch
then it gets slapped on the grill for 2 or 3 min per side and its Mah-va-las!!

One prime rib from Snake River feeds both of us. The pork chops are really good also.

Maddie :flower:

We've been doing some reverse sear steaks in the oven first at 250 degrees until temp hits 125 degrees. Aprox 45 min, up to 75 min if they're the really thick prime steaks we've been getting from here- Snake River Farms: The Pioneers of American Wagyu Beef and DoubleR Ranch
then it gets slapped on the grill for 2 or 3 min per side and its Mah-va-las!!

One prime rib from Snake River feeds both of us. The pork chops are really good also.

Maddie :flower:

I need to visit Snake River Ranch the next time I'm in Boise. I've had some of their beef, both in Houston and Boise..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Home Depot has good savings on Kamado grills on their Deal of the Day.
Kamado Grills
I was thinking that I was going to need to add a 5th grill/smoker to the collection, but just discovered that it only has a 13” grate. They have another Kamado for $50 less, which looks to the be same sized grill but on shorter, maybe tabletop legs. Both seem like good deals, but just too small for my needs.

Good thing - I had just ordered the OnlyFire pizza oven for my kettle earlier today. Wife would have frowned upon two completely unrelated yet redundant grill purchases in the same day.

I have been looking at the table top unit for some time. I do not mix food on the grill at the same time. My wife likes salmon and I do not. The small tabletop unit is perfect for that. It also would take less charcoal to run. I think it might be good for briquettes for searing meat. I like to "reverse sear", where you smoke the steak for 30-45 minutes at 225 then do a pan sear. I would PREFER a grill sear. Use the small one to sear for 30-45 seconds a side to finish each steak.

The other issues I'm now finding with a lot of the "cheaper" kamados, they do not have a removeable ash tray. You need to pull the bowl to clean out the ashes. With this being the case, there is a cheaper alternative out there for a 13" on Amazon (Aoxun) that is about $115+$30 shipping.

The other alternative is the Char-Griller metal egg for $149. It is table top and has a 14" grid. And the metal bottom ash tray removes. My first kamado was a Char-Griller, but the larger version. These are metal in metal with fiberglass insulation. So both cheaper and a lot lighter, but still fully functional kamado.

I have been looking at the table top unit for some time. I do not mix food on the grill at the same time. My wife likes salmon and I do not. The small tabletop unit is perfect for that. It also would take less charcoal to run. I think it might be good for briquettes for searing meat. I like to "reverse sear", where you smoke the steak for 30-45 minutes at 225 then do a pan sear. I would PREFER a grill sear. Use the small one to sear for 30-45 seconds a side to finish each steak.

The other issues I'm now finding with a lot of the "cheaper" kamados, they do not have a removeable ash tray. You need to pull the bowl to clean out the ashes. With this being the case, there is a cheaper alternative out there for a 13" on Amazon (Aoxun) that is about $115+$30 shipping.

The other alternative is the Char-Griller metal egg for $149. It is table top and has a 14" grid. And the metal bottom ash tray removes. My first kamado was a Char-Griller, but the larger version. These are metal in metal with fiberglass insulation. So both cheaper and a lot lighter, but still fully functional kamado.
We have a Vision Grill (Large) that is still going strong after 7 years. Think it was a couple $100 below the price of a same size BGE.

Last edited:

Red beard I cook all fish and scallops on an induction burner using a splatter guard to prevent oil splatter. Easy to control temps.

:cheers:

Reactions: jark87
Pizza oven kit for the Weber arrived today - no assembly required! Pizza dough is rising overnight and we’ll be cooking wood-fired Halloween pizza tomorrow!
1604094458414.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.