Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Friday Morning !!

Poached eggs on an English muffin with smoked ham and a dab of chipotle pepper sauce on top....and good stiff cup of joe ...

DA6835B4-127C-441A-AF35-06D44DB5363B.jpeg

Quick! How to de-spice chili?

I have a pot of chili on the stove which we will eat in an hour. I think it's going to be too spicy for Mrs. Squirrel. What can I throw in to cool down the spice level?

Eat is with LOTS of sour cream and drink milkshakes.

Unfortunately there’s no way to de-spice food. Once it is overdone, it’s spicy. You’d have to double or triple the volume of the chili to reduce the heat.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
Thanks for the quick replies.

I couldn't add more beans because that would have put the bean level at Critical Mass. Adding more tomatoes did help dilute the spices a bit. And luckily Mrs. Squirrel likes sour cream and we have it in the house. I'm also making cornbread which will help.

Milkshakes? This is chili, man. I'ma wash mine down with beer. I think a Hazy Little Thing will go nicely.

I’m ok with beer and chili but watery drinks will only make the heat worse. Capsaicin, the primary chemical that causes “spiciness” in foods, is not very water soluble but is highly fat soluble. So drinking water liquids only serves to spread it around. Milk & cream will actually dissolve it and “wash” it away. Hence the milkshake suggestion.

Plus who doesn’t like a nice Oreo cookies & cream milkshake for desert ....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick! How to de-spice chili?

I have a pot of chili on the stove which we will eat in an hour. I think it's going to be too spicy for Mrs. Squirrel. What can I throw in to cool down the spice level?
Lots and lots of sour cream when serving and forget about the tears :cheers:

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I hate Kale, it is too bitter for me:cheers:

Braised kale with apple & bacon .... yum.

it’s important with kale to cook it until it softens and then throw away the water in the pan. A lot of the bitter compounds come out with the braising liquids and so getting rid of it helps. Acidity (lemon juice, vinegar, apples, etc) helps to reduce pH and breakdown the bitterness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.