Official 2020 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Brent. I was looking at theirs. I saw it will fit. I really don’t know what to do. At least I have all winter to pull opinions from everyone and read.
BTW I purchased mine on craigslist new in the box. You may want to look at that option or facebook. Just a thought :cheers:

Gunness and a Lamb and Guinness baked dinner.

I spent the day in a hazmat suit removing asbestos. Hot, dirty and not exactly a pet friendly day. My wife dropped in just after lunch with a half a can of Guinness that couldn’t go to waste. She was baking lamb and Guinness pot pies with salad. My wife normally doesn’t have any spare time for cooking, her day job is as a university professor in children’s literature. Normally it would be beef and Guinness pie with blue cheese but she’s allergic to beef and our son has anaphylaxis to dairy. It was so good, and I didn’t have to cook it... Thanks Princess.

Please ignore the Lego and multi use table.

59AE2A31-D809-4D03-9680-B7ADC681472B.jpeg

Reactions: Lagerman64

I spent the day in a hazmat suit removing asbestos. Hot, dirty and not exactly a pet friendly day. My wife dropped in just after lunch with a half a can of Guinness that couldn’t go to waste. She was baking lamb and Guinness pot pies with salad. My wife normally doesn’t have any spare time for cooking, her day job is as a university professor in children’s literature. Normally it would be beef and Guinness pie with blue cheese but she’s allergic to beef and our son has anaphylaxis to dairy. It was so good, and I didn’t have to cook it... Thanks Princess.

View attachment 124608
Lamb and Guinness pot pies are the best, having spent some time in England I was able to try the local pub food doing the pub crawl :cheers:

:oops:

Steve, how does one have only a half a can of beer?:unsure:
I would be interested in hearing the testimony from your wife where the other half went!! :laughblue:

Marinating the lamb, she says she will only drink Guinness in Dublin, at the factory. She bought an extra for when I got home.

And what a good night, a feel good story. On my way home I stoped in at the local to pick up a case of beer. It was so good in that cool room, I lingered even though I knew what I wanted. Anyway at the checkout the fellow infront didn’t have enough for one bottle of beer and had to put it back. I was late to the conversation and missed the chance to offer the extra. On leaving he was still in his car and I was able to give him a cold one from the case I’d just bought. I don’t know his situation but it felt so good to pay it forward. To give without any expectation of return.

Last edited:
Also my masterbuilt has blutooth so I can operate it from my ipad or iphone.:cheers:

This had me thinking that what does the Bluetooth do? “Hey Siri can you turn the snags and fetch me a beer?” And tell my wife I’m hard at work tending to the BBQ. Thats not going to translate well... :laughblue:

View attachment 124608

Nice. I really like lamb.

But deff don’t ignore the lego’s! My kids and myself work on something everyday. As soon as I get some here we are starting the new Disney LEGO train.

That’s a nice Star Wars piece. All the newer Star Wars stuff is done very well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After seeing the really cool Memphis wood fired grills, that I have already added to my wish list for 2020 and posted about a few days ago, I just found an article talking about a brand new "Weber Smoke Fire grill" that also looks promising. The best thing about the new Weber grill is that it is $999-$1199 depending on the size - compared to $2000-$2800 for the Memphis grill brand.

Now, I at least have another choice, to consider for a a more modern pellet smoker/grill.

Here is what intrigues me about both these updated pellet grills:

Good digital heat control
High heat searing and/or direct flame cooking - 600° temps
Low heat smoking
Wi-Fi control and monitoring built-in

I am keeping an eye on both - and since the Weber Grill is due to ship on Jan 25 I think I will look for any hands on reviews at that point. I do have both on my birthday wish list, which is in April, so I have a little time to pick the one that will work. Based on early reviews, and especially the price, I think the Weber will win out. The Memphis grills look like a better grill, but you do have to pay for the better stainless features.

Nice. I really like lamb.

But deff don’t ignore the lego’s! My kids and myself work on something everyday. As soon as I get some here we are starting the new Disney LEGO train.

That’s a nice Star Wars piece. All the newer Star Wars stuff is done very well.

My oldest is the LEGO engineer of the family. He has the Death Star and three, THREE!!!!, Millennium Falcons (original version, Last Jedi version and Solo version....yes, they are slightly different and have different mini figures). His room has more LEGO sets than anything else .... we need a house extension for his hobby ?

One of the reasons I like an electric smoker- so easy to use. Push a couple buttons and it 10 mins it's ready to go. No fire to mess with although I'm a gas grill guy, too. Granted, 95% of the time it's only me & the Mrs. If we had an army to feed or lots of guests a big smoker might make more sense.

Apple & Pecan Smoked Duck Breast with Cherry/Orange Sauce over Polenta (credit to Mrs Salty for this idea)
IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

My oldest is the LEGO engineer of the family. He has the Death Star and three, THREE!!!!, Millennium Falcons (original version, Last Jedi version and Solo version....yes, they are slightly different and have different mini figures). His room has more LEGO sets than anything else .... we need a house extension for his hobby ?

Oh boy, you might wanna keep him away from the new Fox show coming out in February.
Lego Masters

Hey Brent. I was looking at theirs. I saw it will fit. I really don’t know what to do. At least I have all winter to pull opinions from everyone and read.

Jim - Can't go wrong with the versatility of the egg/kamado. Have you purchased your BGE yet? If not take a hard look at the Kamado Joe series (I have all 3 sizes currently) as they include a lot of the accessories with the original purchase. What size is your cutout in your kitchen?

Jim - Can't go wrong with the versatility of the egg/kamado. Have you purchased your BGE yet? If not take a hard look at the Kamado Joe series (I have all 3 sizes currently) as they include a lot of the accessories with the original purchase. What size is your cutout in your kitchen?

I’m sized for a large green egg. Isn’t the joe that is similar size a bit bigger? I’m deff going with the egg. I looked at that Pitt boss 400 today. It’s huge! Clean out is on the back which will be a pain. All the vents are on the bottom.

I had planned on a egg type unit so I’m sticking with it.

My wife cut me off after Xmas. I’m soooo thankful I never fell down the star wars Lego hole! I do only trains and creature expert buildings.

I’m sized for a large green egg. Isn’t the joe that is similar size a bit bigger? I’m deff going with the egg. I looked at that Pitt boss 400 today. It’s huge! Clean out is on the back which will be a pain. All the vents are on the bottom.

I had planned on a egg type unit so I’m sticking with it.

The Kamado Joe Classic is the same dimensions as a BGE Large and will fit in the same space. I went with the KJ for a few reasons - they both have a lifetime warranty but KJ will mail replacement parts to your house no questions asked without having to go to a dealer. They also include a stand, side shelves, heat deflectors, fiberglass vs. felt gasket, air lift hinge (really nice!), and a multi-zone cooking rack standard as well. Worth checking out as they can be had for 950 or so online all day long.

The Kamado Joe Classic is the same dimensions as a BGE Large and will fit in the same space. I went with the KJ for a few reasons - they both have a lifetime warranty but KJ will mail replacement parts to your house no questions asked without having to go to a dealer. They also include a stand, side shelves, heat deflectors, fiberglass vs. felt gasket, air lift hinge (really nice!), and a multi-zone cooking rack standard as well. Worth checking out as they can be had for 950 or so online all day long.

Thanks man. I am going to check that out cause of the classic is same size I would go that route. I thought the similar sized one was larger in outside size for the joe vs the egg.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I can’t wait for spring. I got major winter blues and the winter didn’t really start yet.

Reactions: Gorilla83

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.