Official 2019 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A satisfying 8lb prime rib, bone removed and tied back is the seasonal favorite in our home -

View attachment 124252

My preferred method is fairly simple - I season the roast with a mixture of sea salt, black pepper, crushed coriander seed, crushed allspice and weeeeeeeee bit of garlic powder. The oven is set to 230F and I pull the roast when the internal temp is 135F. The bottom of the roasting pan is filled with beef stock, red wine and sautéed shallots/carrots/mushrooms. After the roast has rested a spell (aka, whenever we’re all ready to eat the dang thing), I put the rib slab and roast back into a 500F oven to sear the outside and make it crispy. The juices from the pan are strained in a separating pitcher for making gravy.

Works like a charm every time! Even the end slices are moist and delicious.
I also cut the bone off and french tie it back on however I cook mine on the grill using the rotisserie part of the grill which has an infrared burner. It comes out perfect all the time. In fact the only time I use my rotisserie is for Rib Roasts and whole Chickens :cheers:

My son and I made one for Christmas dinner. It was our first time and it came out a touch overdone, but it was still good. Kroger was having a sale so I went back and bought two more. Going to set them up to dry brine and cook one for New Year's and freeze the other. The sides are cabbage with bacon sauteed in butter and mashed potatoes.
christmas dinner.jpg

Is it better to remove the bone and tie it back on for cooking or to cook the rib roast with the bone attached?
We personally like to remove the bone and then tie it back for cooking as it makes it much easier to cut the meat. Your local butcher can remove it for you and have it tied for cooking :cheers:

9edff523463fe66cd111427e7e8eff7b.jpg

Reactions: Lagerman64
It’ll work without a bone-in roast too but the cook time should be significantly shorter. But I agree, bone-in is way better!

Costco nearby ?‍♂️

No Costco in our area. We only have sams club. We are about 3 years behind everywhere else in the country. We just got our first chik fillet this past month.

The place we by our meat got in more Sunday so we lucked out and I got a prime cut. It’s been drying out and I put my rub on it this morning and it’s back in fridge till I’m ready to cook it. My fridge smells awesome from the rosemary. Lol

F67502E9-F23D-4249-B2FA-3616E18DBCFC.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got to get a smoker ASAP this summer!

I’m actually looking at the pit boss pellet smoker now.

Patience padawan ... Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Don’t go over to the dark side....pellet smokers are the Sith of the smoker universe ?

Patience padawan ... Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Don’t go over to the dark side....pellet smokers are the Sith of the smoker universe ?

No really. I figured they would be really good cause they produce smoke so efficiently I had read.

I know the egg would be awesome but I am having second thoughts on the baby sitting aspect for temperature control.

Two words - Pitts & Spits

You want the Ultimate Upright model US2448 with 16.5 square feet of grill area!!! You will put your neighbors to shame while serving them the most flavorful slab of ribs they ever will eat!

Two words - Pitts & Spits

You want the Ultimate Upright model US2448 with 16.5 square feet of grill area!!! You will put your neighbors to shame while serving them the most flavorful slab of ribs they ever will eat!

Those look awesome. I need something to fit in my egg nest area. A vertical unit without its legs will. My wife will flip if I say I want another stand-alone unit after I busted her all summer with the kitchen I built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.