Official 2019 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who cook chicken (on gas or charcoal grill), are there any tricks from keeping the heat from flaming up from the dripping grease? I have never been a fan of grilling chicken simply because of this.
No tricks to this. When I cook chicken parts I set my gas burners on the lowest setting and cook them on one side till they are crispy brown than I flip them. They take long but i don’t have any flare ups. Hope this helps :cheers:

Reactions: Gladius Nova
For those who cook chicken (on gas or charcoal grill), are there any tricks from keeping the heat from flaming up from the dripping grease? I have never been a fan of grilling chicken simply because of this.

I sear the chicken parts on very high heat to get them crispy on the outside, then I transfer them to a disposable aluminum pan and cook them through using indirect heat. You can add a wire rack to the pan if you want to keep the parts out of the juices. When they are in the pan, I baste the parts with whatever sauce I’m in the mood for. By doing it this way, you get the crispy BBQ feel and the taste of the basting sauce without flare-ups turning everything into a carbonized mess. Chicken fat is very flammable and so you have to cook chicken indirectly.

I haven’t been getting notifications. I missed a lot.

Merry Christmas everyone. Nothing interesting here food wise. I’m all Italian so it’s pasta and then more pasta. Lol

Bone in rib roast for New Year’s Eve again in the big easy!

A satisfying 8lb prime rib, bone removed and tied back is the seasonal favorite in our home -

B3FCA195-F49A-4599-8C80-4F20E386C77F.jpeg

My preferred method is fairly simple - I season the roast with a mixture of sea salt, black pepper, crushed coriander seed, crushed allspice and weeeeeeeee bit of garlic powder. The oven is set to 230F and I pull the roast when the internal temp is 135F. The bottom of the roasting pan is filled with beef stock, red wine and sautéed shallots/carrots/mushrooms. After the roast has rested a spell (aka, whenever we’re all ready to eat the dang thing), I put the rib slab and roast back into a 500F oven to sear the outside and make it crispy. The juices from the pan are strained in a separating pitcher for making gravy.

Works like a charm every time! Even the end slices are moist and delicious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you make a proper horseradish dip as well??

I nearly blinded myself once trying to prepare fresh horseradish from scratch o_O That root is eeeeeeeeeevil :devilish: So these days, I buy horseradish in a jar and mix it up with some sour cream, heavy cream, a dash of lemon juice and salt & pepper.

I nearly blinded myself once trying to prepare fresh horseradish from scratch o_O That root is eeeeeeeeeevil :devilish:

You worked with chemicals all your life, and you’re scared of a little root? :pth:
If you must buy it in a jar, This is the only horseradish you should get. It has the best flavor and freshness hands down. It makes for awesome shrimp cocktail sauce as well!!

A satisfying 8lb prime rib, bone removed and tied back is the seasonal favorite in our home -

View attachment 124252

My preferred method is fairly simple - I season the roast with a mixture of sea salt, black pepper, crushed coriander seed, crushed allspice and weeeeeeeee bit of garlic powder. The oven is set to 230F and I pull the roast when the internal temp is 135F. The bottom of the roasting pan is filled with beef stock, red wine and sautéed shallots/carrots/mushrooms. After the roast has rested a spell (aka, whenever we’re all ready to eat the dang thing), I put the rib slab and roast back into a 500F oven to sear the outside and make it crispy. The juices from the pan are strained in a separating pitcher for making gravy.

Works like a charm every time! Even the end slices are moist and delicious.

I think I’m going to try this for New Year’s Eve for mine. I really liked the reverse sear tech this summer on the grill for steaks.

So did u cook it on a rack inside ur roasting pan?

How much liquid are we talking about for bottom of the pan? About how much veggies did u use? Oh did you rest the meat on the veggies vs the rack?

How many mins about per pound did it take at 230?

I think for my run I’ll make my olive oil mix of garlic, rosemary, sage, and thyme. Maybe a butter compound vs olive oil. I don’t know.

I think I’m going to try this for New Year’s Eve for mine. I really liked the reverse sear tech this summer on the grill for steaks.

So did u cook it on a rack inside ur roasting pan?

How much liquid are we talking about for bottom of the pan? About how much veggies did u use? Oh did you rest the meat on the veggies vs the rack?

How many mins about per pound did it take at 230?

I think for my run I’ll make my olive oil mix of garlic, rosemary, sage, and thyme. Maybe a butter compound vs olive oil. I don’t know.

I have a 16” Cuisinart stainless steel roasting pan with rack.

I let the roast come up to room temp and season it. I prefer the dry seasoning that is mostly pepper & salt but you can season it however you want. While the roast is sitting on the side with the rub on, I sauté the veggies in some bacon fat - shallots, carrots and a mix of mushrooms (baby bell, shiitake, chanterelle, etc). In the roasting pan I add a 32oz box of beef stock (stock, not broth) and half a bottle of red wine. I throw in the sautéed veggies and I add a few crushed cloves of garlic. If you want, you can tie up some sprigs of rosemary, thyme & bay leaf and add that to the “pool” in the pan. I place the rack in the pool and the roast on the rack, fat side up. You want to make sure the meat is sitting above the liquid, not touching it.

At 230F it took about 3-1/2 hours for an 8.6lbs roast to get to 135F as read in the center of the roast. Your mileage may vary depending on how consistent your oven is at low temp. I have an external dial thermometer that sits on the rack next to the roasting pan and it read 230F dead-on the entire time. Some ovens are not good at maintaining low heat so you may want to check your oven first to see what setting yields 230F. Also, my oven has a “convection roast” setting that uses an internal fan to move the air around. If you don’t have that then you need to figure out what settings work best for a consistent 230F internal oven temp.

I removed the roast and and wrapped it up in foil and left it in a warm oven (I have two ovens in my kitchen). A plastic beer cooler works too. I spooned all the veggies into a plate and left that in the oven to stay warm. I like to eat the “drunken” veggies with the meal, others don’t. I poured off the liquid into my separating pitcher with cheese cloth to help strain out any fine bits. This yielded about 2-1/3 cups of liquid. I poured the liquid off into a sauce pot and reduced it down to about 1-3/4 cups then added cornstarch (1Tbsp dissolved into 2tbsp of port wine) to thicken it. If you prefer Au-jus to gravy, then just leave out the corn starch.

Once everyone is ready to eat, wipe out the pan, add the meat in the pan (I separate the bones from the roast at this point and separate the individual rib bones) and heat the oven up to 500F on “roast/broil” setting (upper elements). Put the meat in for about 5-10 minutes depending on how “crispy” you want the outside layer to be.

Last edited:
Awesome post. I never thought about testing the meat in a warm oven. I have a warming drawer that is pretty deep. I can do it in there to rest.

Ok at least I have a ball park on cooking time. I know I can hold temp I have a wolf stove that is spot on. We don’t use the convection much. I don’t know why.

That’s a great easy recipe. I just got to find a good roast now. I called the place web it our meat from and they are sold out and not sure if they are getting in more for new years. Sams club has prime roast but no bone in. I want bone in.

Awesome post. I never thought about testing the meat in a warm oven. I have a warming drawer that is pretty deep. I can do it in there to rest.

Ok at least I have a ball park on cooking time. I know I can hold temp I have a wolf stove that is spot on. We don’t use the convection much. I don’t know why.

That’s a great easy recipe. I just got to find a good roast now. I called the place web it our meat from and they are sold out and not sure if they are getting in more for new years. Sams club has prime roast but no bone in. I want bone in.

It’ll work without a bone-in roast too but the cook time should be significantly shorter. But I agree, bone-in is way better!

Costco nearby ?‍♂️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.