Official 2019 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimm you are tearing it up. Can't go wrong with fish tacos. :cheers:
Thanks man. It wasn’t all me though. My buddy also and his girlfriend. Our bass spot isn’t producing yet so we are up another lake we have permission to fish on. When the bass spot starts up it’s on then. Haha. Just to catch and release though cause they aren’t huge but so many and so much fun to catch and release. If we want food we go up where we have been proud other buddy’s lake that is overflowing with huge panfish.

Those pancakes look good man!

I did wings last night for the first time in the grill with some coaching from cliff. They came out good. My wife said she would have liked them crispier but I don’t know how I would get them crispier? Any advice guys?

882FBE0A-382F-49D7-B9B9-371DBF558477.jpeg

Tonight I’m doing bone in ribeyes. I’m going to try and reverse sear them. Again some coaching from cliff. Lol. You southern folk know how to grill.

So I decided to also buy myself a new toy for the new grill. I have one of thier pens for the past 15 years and it is awesome. We use it all the time. It’s amazing how precise it is. So I decided to buy myself a full setup so I can monitor things better. Got an extra grate probe too so I can see direct vs indirect temps on the surface since it has 4 inputs.

The reverse sear technique is awesome. That’s my new go to method for steaks. Thanks cliff! They came out perfect. I never had a grill with a sear station either. Holy cow that thing fires some heat off! Literally like 30 secs per side!

I am loving having an outdoor space to cook and chill at. I mean we had the back porch but this is so much nicer having everything right at arms reach ba in and out of the house.

It wouldn’t be a day in my life without Mickey showing up somehow either. Haha

901D70F7-1D16-4C98-A1B1-BE4401847833.jpeg1BAE1A78-6294-4B61-824A-2E7BA68BF0D7.jpeg

Reactions: Arizonarob
Those pancakes look good man!

I did wings last night for the first time in the grill with some coaching from cliff. They came out good. My wife said she would have liked them crispier but I don’t know how I would get them crispier? Any advice guys?

View attachment 109187

Tonight I’m doing bone in ribeyes. I’m going to try and reverse sear them. Again some coaching from cliff. Lol. You southern folk know how to grill.

So I decided to also buy myself a new toy for the new grill. I have one of thier pens for the past 15 years and it is awesome. We use it all the time. It’s amazing how precise it is. So I decided to buy myself a full setup so I can monitor things better. Got an extra grate probe too so I can see direct vs indirect temps on the surface since it has 4 inputs.

Hey Jimm, for crispier wings just cook the wings without sauce till they get extra crispy then add some sauces and let it caramelize. That's how I cook wings for DW and she loves it :cheers:

Reactions: jimim
The reverse sear technique is awesome. That’s my new go to method for steaks. Thanks cliff! They came out perfect. I never had a grill with a sear station either. Holy cow that thing fires some heat off! Literally like 30 secs per side!

I am loving having an outdoor space to cook and chill at. I mean we had the back porch but this is so much nicer having everything right at arms reach ba in and out of the house.

It wouldn’t be a day in my life without Mickey showing up somehow either. Haha

View attachment 109206View attachment 109207
Summer kitchen is a great place to hang out. I have never cooked the reverse sear technique but I will have to try that out this weekend :cheers:

Summer kitchen is a great place to hang out. I have never cooked the reverse sear technique but I will have to try that out this weekend :cheers:
Let me find the article.

This is the one I used. My wife said twice last night. “Ya they were deff juicier.” And my other steaks have been good. But not this good.

What I did learn is when I checked the steaks I visually didn’t think they looked to be at temp so I didn’t poke em. Then when I did they were 5 degrees over so next time I got to check more often and with a probe cause they don’t look at temp when u are starting them indirect.

Reactions: BMeeley
Let me find the article.

This is the one I used. My wife said twice last night. “Ya they were deff juicier.” And my other steaks have been good. But not this good.

What I did learn is when I checked the steaks I visually didn’t think they looked to be at temp so I didn’t poke em. Then when I did they were 5 degrees over so next time I got to check more often and with a probe cause they don’t look at temp when u are starting them indirect.
Gonna have to try this. Thanks for sharing :cheers:

Stuck a couple strips on the electric smoker last night for about 20 mins. Then seared off on the grill. So tasty but nothing pic-worthy.

Tomorrow is brisket time and it'll be the first time I've tried smoking one. Kinda anxious but I've done a ton of reading about the 'stall'. Hoping it's picture perfect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did the brisket turn out?

Classic first-timer adventure. It was a small brisket only 5 lbs (bison). I figured it would take somewhere around 8 hours. In the first 2 hours the internal temp went from 40 to 130 and I foolishly wondered if it would be done much sooner. Something like another hour later the temp was 158. Moving right along?...nope, the stall set in and 3 more hours later (6 hours in) the temperature was still 158! By this time the in-laws had come over with the plan to have brisket for dinner. At 8pm and 10 hours smoking it was nowhere near ready. We had to come up with an alternate dinner. I pulled the brisket off the smoker around midnight at just under 200 degrees. We'll throw it in the oven for lunch on Sunday when more family will be here.

It looks incredible but it was so late I just wrapped it in foil and put it in an ice chest to rest. Set an alarm for several hours later to move it to the fridge. Anticipation....

Thanks for asking! Once re-heated and sliced I'll grab some pics.

Reactions: Gladius Nova

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.